banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Direct Mounting a Classic Stack or Vintage Stack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct Mounting a Classic Stack or Vintage Stack?

Hey All,

I'm installing a Classic Stack and a Vintage Stack into a Steinberger GR4. There obviously isn't any pickguard to mount these pickups the way they were designed to be mounted, so I was wondering if there is a "best practice" to direct mounting them? I've heard a few different solutions... using screws that were skinnier than the threads of the brass inserts; drilling out the threads of the brass inserts; or removing the inserts altogether.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!

The way I mounted pickups in my Steinberger was use threaded inserts, and a machine screw smaller than the diameter of the hole on the side of the pickup. I used pickup foam to 'push' the pickup up to the correct height.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      Welcome to the forum!

The way I mounted pickups in my Steinberger was use threaded inserts, and a machine screw smaller than the diameter of the hole on the side of the pickup. I used pickup foam to 'push' the pickup up to the correct height.
      Thanks for the idea Dave! Much appreciated.

Comment

i think daves method is the best way. that said, i got some small wood screws and went right into the body. also with foam under it

i wouldnt want to mess up the threads or remove the insert in case i wanted to use the pups else where or sell them down the road

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          i think daves method is the best way. that said, i got some small wood screws and went right into the body. also with foam under it

i wouldnt want to mess up the threads or remove the insert in case i wanted to use the pups else where or sell them down the road
          I agree with that. I tinker all the time and experiment with different pickups. Thanks.

Comment

Again, I agree with what Dave said. That's also what I do. You can buy the inserts on Amazon and the small screws to fit them (slightly smaller than the threaded hole on the pup baseplate). I use 10mm long inserts, drill holes into the wood just barely smaller then the diameter of the inserts, a drop of super glue, press-in the inserts, and done.

Using wood screws is ok, but if you adjust your pup height a lot, the screws eventually become loose and will come out. The threaded inserts will last a lifetime of adjusting pup height.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Yeah, wood screws don't last very long. I wish there was a 'universal' way to mount pickups without a ring, but there isn't just yet. I also don't want to 'drill out' the threads in a perfectly fine pickup.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
              X