banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about ordering my first set of custom pickups... thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about ordering my first set of custom pickups... thoughts?

I've always liked the JB, but hated the Jazz. I've always liked the Black Winter set, but have always been curious how they would sound with A5 magnets.

I was thinking about ordering a Black Winter set but with Alnico 5 magnets, glossy black bobbins, dual black allen screws, and a black logo with the Black Winter font.

I was going to throw the possibility of having them slightly underwound for added clarity and bite.

What do you guys think? Think the CS would be up for it?

I would just put A5s and spacers in a BW set myself. That's a lot of money just for a mag swap on a stock pickup. I'm sure the Custom Shop will make whatever you want. If you're paying the Custom Shop, I would tell them what music/sounds you like, examples of bridge and neck tones, what guitar body it's going in and it's tone characteristics (bright, warm, etc.), and let them figure out what it takes to make that sound.

Comment

Yes, the Custom Shop will build what you want, but if what you have in mind is a *sound* vs *specs*, tell them the sound you want and they will come up with the recipe to get there. Many times it is not what I would have thought, but the sound is always right.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yeah, on second thoughts, I think I'm going more for looks here rather than sound. I want the Blackened Black Winters, but with glossy bobbins.

I wonder if I can get those as a Custom Floor model rather to save some money?

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
          I've always liked the JB, but hated the Jazz. I've always liked the Black Winter set, but have always been curious how they would sound with A5 magnets.

I was thinking about ordering a Black Winter set but with Alnico 5 magnets, glossy black bobbins, dual black allen screws, and a black logo with the Black Winter font.

I was going to throw the possibility of having them slightly underwound for added clarity and bite.

What do you guys think? Think the CS would be up for it?
          I learned a very important lesson 30 years ago with my first seymour duncan custom order.

I ordered a Custom Custom in custom color bobbins. Waited 3 months for delivery. And when I got the pickup, I really didn't like it at all.

Comment

I'd think the BW winding with the A5 mag would be really clanky in the upper mids. Much more-so than the Nazgul IMO.

Comment

They can handle broad spex like that and imo that's the best way to get what you want. From my point of view, ur BW idea sounds cool. I like all ur spex. You could also go for an underwound JB bridge and a matching appropriate heat level JB neck. That would be cool.
              The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

Comment

How about try the BBW neck in the bridge position?
                I've been interested in trying that myself.
                From there you could change to an A5 and see how you like it before you make a custom order.
                Could give you a better idea what you're looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                  Yeah, on second thoughts, I think I'm going more for looks here rather than sound. I want the Blackened Black Winters, but with glossy bobbins.

I wonder if I can get those as a Custom Floor model rather to save some money?
                  Yeah, you should be able to order that from any authorized dealer.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                    I would just put A5s and spacers in a BW set myself. That's a lot of money just for a mag swap on a stock pickup. I'm sure the Custom Shop will make whatever you want. If you're paying the Custom Shop, I would tell them what music/sounds you like, examples of bridge and neck tones, what guitar body it's going in and it's tone characteristics (bright, warm, etc.), and let them figure out what it takes to make that sound.
                    I would think that an A5 in a BW would sound similar to an underwound Custom 5.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

For a cosmetic difference, shop floor custom is a lot more affordable than full-on Custom Shop.
                      If you're looking for a particular tone, I'd trust MJ over trying to imagine how changes would turn out.
                      As mentioned already, when you mod a pickup sometime the results are not as expected.
                      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                        I would think that an A5 in a BW would sound similar to an underwound Custom 5.

A BW is lower in output than the Custom? They feel about the same to me, if not the BW more. I'd picture an underwound Custom 5 sounding like a Jazz Bridge. But I actually don't know what an underwound Custom would sound like to start with.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Yeah, you should be able to order that from any authorized dealer.
                          I think I'll try that, rather. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

A BW is lower in output than the Custom? They feel about the same to me, if not the BW more. I'd picture an underwound Custom 5 sounding like a Jazz Bridge. But I actually don't know what an underwound Custom would sound like to start with.
                            Well, BW is around 13K with triple ceramic magnets. Custom is ~14k with a single regular thickness ceramic. With an A5, Custom 5.
                            The BW wind is probably different, but if you go from triple ceramic to single A5, it's probably going to make it more scooped.

Comment

I think the high end of the Custom might make it seem louder than the BW, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X