Clear All

• Why isnt this HSS wiring working?

Here is what I am trying to do:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1SCH_2S_5W_1V_1T_AS.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	6228459

And here is what I have done (FYI I have reversed the Bare Knuckle neck pickup, and I also have a killswitch on the hot output to the jack):

Name:	image0.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	6228460

And the error is that position 2, 3 and 4 are completely silent.

Please help me understand what I have done wrong / why it isnt working?

I can't tell what's going on with the switch. Looks like

1 Bridge
    2 Middle
    3 Neck
    4 Volume pot
    5 (empty?)
    6 Bridge red+white
    7 (can't see)

What brand/model of switch is that?

My suspicion is if you are trying to split the bridge in 2-3-4 by grounding out the red+white, somehow it's actually grounding out the whole guitar. But I can't see what's going on to tell for sure.

Comment

So its:

1 Bridge
      2 Middle
      3 Neck
      4 Volume + tone pot
      5 Empty
      6 Bridge red+white
      7 Ground
      8 Empty

I have no idea what brand it is - it is stock in this Stagg SES-60 cheap ass guitar (which now has awesome pickups)

Maybe this picture has better contrast:

Name:	image0.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	6228468
      Last edited by andersreve; 04-09-2023, 10:12 AM. Reason: Added new picture

Comment

Theoretically it should work. Why did you have to reverse the BK pickup? It is out of phase with Duncans? (I haven't heard that before, just checking.)

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
          Theoretically it should work. Why did you have to reverse the BK pickup? It is out of phase with Duncans? (I haven't heard that before, just checking.)
          Yes, it was out of phase in pos 4. And I had a push pull volume to split the JB, but I dont like the push pull and wanted outo split and only 1 tone. I did this re-wire and I cant understand why it doesnt work. I feel certain I have wired it exactly like the Seymour Duncan schematic says...

Comment

That's why we need to know what that switch is, or at least confirm that it's a standard switch and which lugs are Common. Certain import switches have special combinations built into the internal PC board, and if you don't know what each position is actually doing, it can do unpredictable things, like cut all the sound.

Comment

I guess I need to disconnect and measure every lug to see which is connected?

Comment

typically it would be 1 2 3 C C 1 2 3 but hard to know without testing it

if its as i describe, then id think your wiring would work, but obviously something is off.

Comment

Can you take a "sideways" pic of the switch. I only see seven terminals also.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                    Can you take a "sideways" pic of the switch. I only see seven terminals also.
                    It's a bit hard to get good pics of it, but let's try this. There are 8 terminals btw

Name:	338798487_931020831423315_780315579065371246_n.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	6228595

Name:	338798099_211577388153740_2764523562220951014_n.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	6228596

Comment

Originally posted by andersreve View Post
                      It's a bit hard to get good pics of it, but let's try this. There are 8 terminals btw
                      Ok. That should work. There's a couple things I can think of: Perhaps that's an unconventional switch internally. (Unlikely.) Or, (given your soldering), a solder ball has dripped inside and is shorting something out. I don't mean that to sound like I'm criticizing your soldering. But it's a possibility.

At this point, I'd either meter everything out, or start over with a new switch.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

Ok. That should work. There's a couple things I can think of: Perhaps that's an unconventional switch internally. (Unlikely.) Or, (given your soldering), a solder ball has dripped inside and is shorting something out. I don't mean that to sound like I'm criticizing your soldering. But it's a possibility.

At this point, I'd either meter everything out, or start over with a new switch.
                        Yes, probably the. next step. My soldering is not that good I totally agree! I need to buy a wick to get fully clean.

But, I have a question about this schematic: I dont understand the ground wire on terminal 7. What does that do? Because if the switch is conventional, that will ground position 2,3 and 4 (which are the dead positions...)

Comment

I removed the ground connection on B2 (terminal 7) and it seems to be working fine now. Is there something wrong with the schematic from SD?

Comment

Originally posted by andersreve View Post

Yes, probably the. next step. My soldering is not that good I totally agree! I need to buy a wick to get fully clean.

But, I have a question about this schematic: I dont understand the ground wire on terminal 7. What does that do? Because if the switch is conventional, that will ground position 2,3 and 4 (which are the dead positions...)
                            Only the red+white series link from the bridge is on lug 1 on that side of the switch. So when the switch is in positions 2-3, it's supposed to be splitting the humbucker. I think it won't split in position 4, because lug 1 would be disengaged at that point.

You wouldn't want it to split on position 4 because then you'd have all three pickups on at the same time.
                            Last edited by beaubrummels; 04-10-2023, 11:37 AM.

Comment

I only want it to split on 2, so I am fine with it not splitting in pos 4.

I want:

Pos 1: Humbucker
                              Pos 2: Split humbucker + mid
                              Pos 3: Mid
                              Pos 4: Mid + Neck
                              Pos 5: Neck

To me, after removing that ground on t7 it seems like the humbucker is always split (not humbucking) even in position 1.

I am very confused

Comment

Working...
                              X