Tell me about PhatCats Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about PhatCats Please

Thinking my next build might involve P90s, but I can't find a body pre-machined for them. At least in the style I want and at an affordable price. It'll be an SG style body in mahogany.
    The obvious solution would be PhatCats.
    I've tried P-Rails and didn't like them.
    Thoughts please.

IME: Best sounding "Gibson" sound ever. Best sounding 'Gibson'-style neck ever, in particular. Bridge was too weak, neck was too strong. Single coil, so noise. Needs a dummy coil, noise gate, or some other noise cancelling solution, but great sounding pickups.

Comment

It's been a while since I did anything with Phat Cats, but they each come with two whole magnets for you to experiment with.

Don't ignore the Dimarzio Bluesbucker, it's also designed to be a P90 sized humbucker. Never tried it though.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I love the Phat Cat Neck, personally. Didn't think it was dark, as many people here have said. I love what Alnico 2 does for a P90 since it softens the harsness/scratchiness of a true single coil, but it is still a true single coil, after all, so it sounds spanky and clear... BUT... it is kinda weak output wise to match with hot bridge pickups. But that's my only complaint.

It's not as noisy as a regular P90 either because it's got the metal cover.

I'd love to try a bridge Phat Cat in the neck, TBH.

I do have a P-Rails lying around that I was sent by mistake, but I've never installed it, TBH. Not really interested, honestly, as to me, it's kind of an eyesore of a pickup LOL, and I don't think I'd get any use from the blade coil at all.
        Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 04-13-2023, 05:16 PM.

Comment

It's one of Duncan's best pickups. They're scoopy compared to real P90s but still a great bassy and chimey sound. Take mag swaps well and you can improve the volume imbalance with schemes like A3 in the neck and A5 in the bridge.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
          X