Antiquity P90 set RWRP = out of phase?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whatthe View Post
    Thsmks for the replies. I did bought them used as a set. Im still deciding whether to do something about it or leave it as is. I kinda dig the middle out of phase sound and i can make them in phase by turning the volume on either the bridge or neck slightly. I dont understand the theory behind that but it only sounds out of phase in some volume balance setting between the neck and bridge volume.
    Turning the volume down on one pup doesn't put them "in phase". Being out of phase is a physical/mechanical condition concerning how 2 pups are related to each other. To be OOP, either one pup has the reverse wiring of another or it has reverse magnetic polarity of the other. The effect is a cancellation of certain frequencies of waves which is most effective when the two pups are contributing equally to the total output of the sound (the "volume balance" that you refer to). If you reduce the signal of one of the pups there will be less cancellation of those specific frequencies and the "sound" will become more "normal", like just playing one pup, but the two pups are still OOP. Like if you switch to either the neck or the bridge pup it will sound like the normal neck or bridge pup even though your two pups are still OOP.

You don't need to drill any holes to add a switch to toggle between in phase and out of phase. You can just replace one of your volume controls with a push/pull pot. When in the normal "down" position you will be in phase. When you pull the volume knob up, it will actually reverse the wiring of one pup so you will actually be out of phase. Simple. And then you will have both tones available.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

Turning the volume down on one pup doesn't put them "in phase". Being out of phase is a physical/mechanical condition concerning how 2 pups are related to each other. To be OOP, either one pup has the reverse wiring of another or it has reverse magnetic polarity of the other. The effect is a cancellation of certain frequencies of waves which is most effective when the two pups are contributing equally to the total output of the sound (the "volume balance" that you refer to). If you reduce the signal of one of the pups there will be less cancellation of those specific frequencies and the "sound" will become more "normal", like just playing one pup, but the two pups are still OOP. Like if you switch to either the neck or the bridge pup it will sound like the normal neck or bridge pup even though your two pups are still OOP.

You don't need to drill any holes to add a switch to toggle between in phase and out of phase. You can just replace one of your volume controls with a push/pull pot. When in the normal "down" position you will be in phase. When you pull the volume knob up, it will actually reverse the wiring of one pup so you will actually be out of phase. Simple. And then you will have both tones available.
      Good idea with the push pull pot. Can you point me to any online resources to do this?

Comment

This guitar wiring modification shows how to use a double pole-double throw mini switch (DPDT) to get 2 modes from a humbucker: Standard in-phase mode, and reverse phase mode. If a mini switch can not be used, a standard push/pull switch can also be used.Note: reversing the phase of the pickup will only have an effect on the sound if another pickup is also on. When combining the out of phase pickup with a second pickup, the sound will be hollow and scooped out will reduced bass. When reversing the phase of a standard humbucker, the hum canceling will not be affected (still hum canceling). Click diagram image to open/view full size version.   Ready to get started? Don't forget the Wire, Solder, Shielding & Supplies. Copyright© GuitarElectronics.com LLC. Unauthorized replication is prohibited.

Comment

He'd also have to convert the pickups from 1 conductor to 2 or 4.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
            Oops. Yup. That will be more difficult.

Comment

It's ok, we have the support crew here if he wants to take on the project.
              The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                Ahh. Thats too much. I will just enjoy the guitar as it is

Comment

Originally posted by whatthe View Post

Ahh. Thats too much. I will just enjoy the guitar as it is
                  It's really not that difficult. It would involve separating the ground wire from the start wire inside the pup. But we have lots of members on the forum who can walk you through this if you want to pursue it.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                  X