Phat cat magnet question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phat cat magnet question

I like the Phat Cat set I have in one of my Tele builds but I would like to warm up the bridge some, I'm currently using 500k pots.
    I'm thinking an A4 would do it but not sure what size the mags they are since I've never taken the cover off of one.

Are the Phat Cat mags the same size as the regular humbucker magnets?

Depending on how it's wired, if you can do a 250K volume pot for the bridge that might solve the problem easily.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by larryguitar View Post
      Depending on how it's wired, if you can do a 250K volume pot for the bridge that might solve the problem easily.

Larry
      Right now, it's 1 volume pot and a 3-way blade.

Comment

Originally posted by JB6464 View Post
        I like the Phat Cat set I have in one of my Tele builds but I would like to warm up the bridge some, I'm currently using 500k pots.
        I'm thinking an A4 would do it but not sure what size the mags they are since I've never taken the cover off of one.

Are the Phat Cat mags the same size as the regular humbucker magnets?
        yes, normal size bucker mags. phat cats come stock with a2, so i dont think a mag swap is what you want. i like the bridge phat cat with a 250k volume. bright and cutting, but takes the edge off.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post

yes, normal size bucker mags. phat cats come stock with a2, so i dont think a mag swap is what you want. i like the bridge phat cat with a 250k volume. bright and cutting, but takes the edge off.
          I'm concerned the 250K would make the neck pickup to warm since I'm using it without a tone pot right now.
          Guess it wouldn't hurt to give it a try first.

Comment

i wouldnt use a 250k on the neck, only the bridge. it you have normal tele controls, id run the neck pup without a tone as you are currently doing.

i might change one of the magnets in the neck to a5 to brighten it up.

Comment

Doesn't changing the magnet in only one side of the Phat Cat to a stronger one degaus the other?

I'd go for A3, rather, personally. Because A5 also adds lows which is the last thing I'd want in a neck pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                Doesn't changing the magnet in only one side of the Phat Cat to a stronger one degaus the other?
                Hypothetically it's possible, but it works fine.

I'd go for A3, rather, personally. Because A5 also adds lows which is the last thing I'd want in a neck pickup.
                A3 is good.
                The things that you wanted
                I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post

The A2 in the neck pickup is fine and I like as it is stock, it's the bridge Phat Cat that needs warmed up.

Comment

Depending on what you've got lying around (who am I kidding, everyone on this board has a huge box of 'spare' parts) a fixed cap tied to the bridge pickup could be a quick fix.

Larry

Comment

Stick a resistor on the bridge pickup.
                      I bought them for you

Comment

Any magnet change you make to the bridge pup will brighten even more. Changing the vol pot will help the bridge pup but will also negatively affect the neck pup (since you like it as is). Adding a resistor (a 500k), as Clint suggested, will affect only the bridge pup...which is what you want.
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                          Any magnet change you make to the bridge pup will brighten even more. Changing the vol pot will help the bridge pup but will also negatively affect the neck pup (since you like it as is). Adding a resistor (a 500k), as Clint suggested, will affect only the bridge pup...which is what you want.
                          Since I only have one volume pot and a 3-way blade setup right now, wouldn't adding a resistor on the pot effect the neck pickup as well?

Comment

Attach the resistor to the bridge pickup hot lead at the switch and the other end to ground. This will only affect the bridge pickup.
                            I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                              Attach the resistor to the bridge pickup hot lead at the switch and the other end to ground. This will only affect the bridge pickup.
                              Thank You !

Comment

Working...
                              X