Replace JB slugs with screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace JB slugs with screws

Hey guys I want to replace the slugs on my jb to screws kinda like the Allan holdsworth model. Can I just pop the slugs out and replace with screws? I searched the forum and I couldn’t find specific details, I’m sure it’s on the forum somewhere. I just couldn’t find it lol.

Not really. The screw (even the hex screws on the fullshred) use a treaded bobbin, with a different hole geometry.

The slug coils have a hole that's the same diameter all the way through, and the screw coils have a recess for the screw head, and a treaded portion below.

A blackened black winter with a mag swap is the closest you can get to a double screw JB, other than hybridizing.

2 jb's and 1 fullshred is 2 JB/fullshred hybride and 1 double screw JB.

Comment

Some cheap Asian PU's, like those found in some Epiphone or Harley Benton guitars, host slugs with slotted heads, looking like screws. They have proper dimensions otherwise and are made of "decently" magnetizable materials. Not on par with machined steel slugs but able to do the job.

Finding 2d hand pickups with such slugs is a bit challenging... That said, they can be recognized because they seem to have screw poles when seen from above but have nothing protuding under their baseplates (generally made of brass) not even any hole for magnetic poles in some cases.

FWIW.

EDIT after a night of sleep... :-P

The answer above was (obviously) about a cosmetic mod. If the goal is to have two rows of real screw poles, it can be done as long as the baseplate has a double row of holes. it just requires some kind of "tubing" around the screw poles, filling the gap between them and the larger holes for slugs...
      Last edited by freefrog; 04-24-2023, 12:19 AM.
      Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

You're best off ordering a shop floor custom double screw JB.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

Not sure what the cost and wait time is on the CS but I would recommend the Suhr DSH+ and swap the magnet out to RCA5 or UOA5 if necessary.

Compared to their SS (single screw) counterparts, the DS pickups have a natural roll off on the top end, making them richer, smoother, and more modern sounding.

Comment

How about making a JB with the Screaming Demon combo of hex heads and Filster screws?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Just get a Suhr DSH+

Already 90% of the way there: a ~16-17k 44AWG poly wind with double screws and an A5 magnet.
              Originally posted by Myaccount876
              Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

I was thinking of the Suhr DSH+ as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                  How about making a JB with the Screaming Demon combo of hex heads and Filster screws?
                  That's a bad ass combo. Sounds great in the neck. You can of course use it in the bridge too.

Originally posted by krovatron View Post
                  Not sure what the cost and wait time is on the CS.
                  Not custom shop, shop floor custom. It's a tweak on a production pickup.

Do you need something just a little bit special from your pickup but not anything that requires the full Seymour Duncan Custom Shop treatment? If so, there are plenty of little customisations that you can request when you order a regular pickup through your preferred dealer. Called Shop Floor Custom, this service lets you tweak various aspects of your pickup order and we'll make it on the regular shop floor, just for you, alongside our regular production pickups. It's a handy alternative if you want something a little unique but your budget doesn't stretch to 'Custom Shop.'
                  I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post

That's a bad ass combo. Sounds great in the neck. You can of course use it in the bridge too.

Not custom shop, shop floor custom. It's a tweak on a production pickup.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/l...custom-options
                    Good to know that exists! Thanks

Comment

No prob!
                      I bought them for you

Comment

You could always buy two, and swap the coils. I bet someone in the Trading Post would dig a two-slug JB.

Comment

Working...
                        X