Custom Shop Pearly Gates question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Shop Pearly Gates question.

So I just discovered there is a Custom Shop version of the Pearly Gates pickups but didn't see them on the site. Where can I find more info and possibly buy them?

Nothing amazing -

https://reverb.com/item/1497380-seym...ge-aged-nickel

Why do you want the Custom shop version? FYI, I have a PG I wound myself at Duncan, to 9k...
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I have 2 pairs of Custom Shop Pearly Gates- one is an antiquity wax potted, nickel plated, which was purportedly the pickup used in the Les Paul Pearly Gates Replica, and a gold antiquity unpotted, wound a little hotter in the bridge, which is what they wind for BFG now.

The unpotted one is more sensitive, brighter and woodier, bringing out the natural tone of the guitar out more , very sensitive. The potted one is more balanced.

I don't know how they compare to a production pearly gates.

Comment

The thing about the Custom Shop versions is that you can customize the formula. There is no reason to get a production-spec PG set from the Custom Shop unless you want MJ to make your pickups. Just get the production ones and get your pickups faster and cheaper.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
          Nothing amazing -

https://reverb.com/item/1497380-seym...ge-aged-nickel

Why do you want the Custom shop version? FYI, I have a PG I wound myself at Duncan, to 9k...
          I don't necessarily want the Custom Shop version. I'm looking at putting lower output pickups in one of my Les Paul's and just came across the CS Pearly Gates. To be honest I'm a Billy Gibbons fan so discovering a pickup I didn't know about makes me interested. But I'm also a gear nerd so I'm also gonna be interested just because it's a piece quest of gear that's new to me. And like with all guitars and guitar products I'm gonna do research to make the most informed decision. I'm also gonna be my usual self and over think every piece of gear I look at lol. And honestly I didn't even think about looking on Reverb and I shop on there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            The thing about the Custom Shop versions is that you can customize the formula. There is no reason to get a production-spec PG set from the Custom Shop unless you want MJ to make your pickups. Just get the production ones and get your pickups faster and cheaper.
            This is the kind of info I'm looking for because I first got interested in maybe getting a set of PGs when I saw you could get them with white bobbins. Then I discovered the CS version and started looking for info. And I much prefer the production price. Also I'm open to suggestions for low output pickups as I've not made my mind up on what I'm going to go with. To be honest I already have a Dimarzio PAF 59 neck pickup I was gonna use in a different guitar but decided not to and am considering getting a matching bridge pickup. I just figure looking at what Seymour Duncan offers will widen my choices and help me make the best decision possible.

By the way if there is a way to multi quote I'm missing how to do it as I know some forums might not like replying to post one at a time when you can multi quote.
            Last edited by lespaul59; 04-26-2023, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lespaul59 View Post

I don't necessarily want the Custom Shop version. I'm looking at putting lower output pickups in one of my Les Paul's and just came across the CS Pearly Gates. To be honest I'm a Billy Gibbons fan so discovering a pickup I didn't know about makes me interested. But I'm also a gear nerd so I'm also gonna be interested just because it's a piece quest of gear that's new to me. And like with all guitars and guitar products I'm gonna do research to make the most informed decision. I'm also gonna be my usual self and over think every piece of gear I look at lol. And honestly I didn't even think about looking on Reverb and I shop on there.
              Well, my recommendation is just get the regular old PG set. I find it to be quite fantastic as is.

Then again, I also have one wound up to 9k. So there is that....
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by lespaul59 View Post

This is the kind of info I'm looking for because I first got interested in maybe getting a set of PGs when I saw you could get them with white bobbins. Then I discovered the CS version and started looking for info. And I much prefer the production price. Also I'm open to suggestions for low output pickups as I've not made my mind up on what I'm going to go with. To be honest I already have a Dimarzio PAF 59 neck pickup I was gonna use in a different guitar but decided not to and am considering getting a matching bridge pickup. I just figure looking at what Seymour Duncan offers will widen my choices and help me make the best decision possible.

By the way if there is a way to multi quote I'm missing how to do it as I know some forums might not like replying to post one at a time when you can multi quote.
                You can order a production PG set with white bobbins through their Shop Floor Custom program, available through any SD dealer.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I’ve got a set of production and an unpotted custom shop set. Gold covers. I think they are both quite good. I do, however like the custom shop bridge best, but the production neck is the best neck pickup I’ve ever used. Of course, ocd does not allow mixing them in one instrument.

Comment

Working...
                  X