3 Humbuckers 5-way mega switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Humbuckers 5-way mega switch

I am having trouble finding a schematic for 3 Humbuckers and a 5-way mega switch wiring.
    All three pickups will be the same and have the same north and south orientation .
    Pos. 1- bridge humbucker
    Pos. 2- bridge N coil + middle S coil (in series)
    Pos. 3- middle humbucker
    Pos. 4- middle N coil + neck S coil ( in series)
    Pos. 5 - neck humbucker
    All positions humbucking
    Thanks
    ​​​​​

Did you have a specific Mega switch in mind? (There's different models.) Or are you using that term generically to mean a Superswitch?

The Superswitch would make the diagram much easier.

Comment

Super switch is fine

Comment

Great. Also, I always have trouble thinking in terms of N & S coils. Could you specify #2 and #4 as screw and stud?

I assume you'll want the #2 and #4 positions to remain humbucking. That is, screw coil with stud coil. So, will you want neck screw with middle stud, and middle screw with bridge stud? Or vice-versa?
        Last edited by ArtieToo; 05-02-2023, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Yes all positions humbucking.
          and all pickups are exactly the same ( all neck humbuckers)
          all screws toward bridge
          Screw-slug. Screw-slug, screw slug
          Pos 1 br hum
          Pos 2 br slug + mid screw in series
          Pos 3 mid hum
          Pos 4 mid slug + neck screw in series
          pos 5 neck hum
          ​​

Comment

Cool. Doodling it now. Doing the series thang makes it a bit more complicated.

Comment

I believe I figured it out

Comment

Forgive the crude drawing but I believe this is it

Comment

I finished it while you were "doodling." This should do it. A couple notes:

There are a couple connections that aren't strictly needed, but prevent a coil from "floating", disconnected in the circuit, and risking noise:

The middle white to #1 and #5.
                  The neck red to #1, #2, and #3.
                  The bridge white to #2, #3, and #5.

They're redundant, but may help prevent noise. (Diagram in next post in case I need to edit this one. Forum software still messed up.)

Edit: See. Already. If you want to rotate the bridge for the normal "stud-to-center", it doesn't sonically change anything. Everything will still work as drawn, and remain humbucking.
                  Last edited by ArtieToo; 05-02-2023, 10:35 AM.

Comment

This:

Click image for larger version

Name:	3_Humbucker_series.png
Views:	137
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	6231909

Comment

Originally posted by ratiug View Post
                      Forgive the crude drawing but I believe this is it
                      That's a little hard to follow since you have the right side of the switch reversed. Also, there's no need to switch any of the grounds.

Edit: That sounded a bit more critical than I had intended. I love it when someone works to figure out their own problem.
                      Last edited by ArtieToo; 05-02-2023, 11:12 AM.

Comment

This might help to clarify why there are no switched grounds. In the #1, #3, and #5 positions, you just have the normal humbuckers. So all grounds can be connected as normal.

In the #2 and #4 positions, I use the middle screw coil as the grounded side of the humbucker. So again, it's ground stays connected as it would when it's used by itself.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3_Humbucker_series-2.png
Views:	97
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	6231915

Comment

Very interesting, I have a guitar with 3 humbuckers wired one of these ways. I am gonna have to open it up and take a look.
                          I think it has the movable grounds but I cant recall at the moment. I like in your drawing in position #2 and #4 the distance between coils gets greater more so in #4, I will have to see how it sounds.

Comment

Yes, but remember, you can rotate (physically) the bridge around 180 deg's to have the stud coil closest to the middle pup without affecting anything. It's purely cosmetic.

Comment

Good to know, thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X