Pre-sticker PAF or early SD 59?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-sticker PAF or early SD 59?

I opened a thread on the MyLesPaul Forum regarding a Humbucker PU of mine, which sounds really good (at least as good as the original pat# sticker T-tops and pre T-Tops I have). I thought it could be a pre-sticker PAF. But the experts over there think it could be an early Seymour Duncan 59.
    What do the SD-experts here think?
    Pictures and specs on the My Les Paul Forum.

Please post your question here, and not a link to another forum (at least for your first post here).
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Looks like.

If there's yellow spots on the black cloth under the braided shielding of the wire, the pickup is an Early 59. Example (I'm really not a pro photograph but "you'll get the picture"):

Click image for larger version

Name:	EarlyDuncan59BraidedShieldedWire.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	6232417

Also, the keeper bar under the screw poles should look as the one below, with bevelled holes. Bad pic once again but clear enough to be understood, hopefully.

Name:	EarlyDuncan59KeeperBar.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	6232418

A vintage Gibson PU should have a different one with "straight holes". Here is the keeper bar of a P.A.F.:

Name:	PAFkeeperBar.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	6232419

NOTE - Be aware that early 59's can be fragile: Seymour did design his butyrate bobbins in a very clever way preventing warping but apparently, the material itself shrinks with time and the coils can become looser because of this... so the wire of the coils tends to get out from under the black tape.

But these oldies are excellent pickups IME / IMHO.
      Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Oh, and the magnet of an early 59/SH-1 should most probably be a rough cast one, with a dark blueish color.

And welcome on the SD forum. Hadn't seen it was your first post...
        Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Here are the data of the humbucker pickup I thought/think it might be a pre-sticker PAF. It's the best sounding humbucker PU I have (and I have some pat# T-Tops and pre T-Tops).
          • 7,64 Ohm
          • no Sticker, no signs under blacklight: 1957
          • black wire: pre 1965
          • Phillips screws: pre 1967
          • L-marks: pre 1972
          • circle in a square: pre T-Top (1967)
          • coil wire: ?
          • Magnet: 6,4cm = long (pre 1961)
          Regarding the wire, the holes are stuffed with pretty much dirt (cleaning them, it seems to me, is too risky). What I see with a magnifier looks more orange than purple...

As far as I know all the SDs had stickers. I cannot find any remains of such a sticker.

The imprinted SD logo which my PU does not have was, as I read somewhere, introduced in 1983.

Could this be an early SD 59? It looks older than the SD 59s I find.

Name:	IMG_2685.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	6232432

Name:	IMG_3974.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	6232433

Name:	IMG_2689.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	6232434

Name:	IMG_2690.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	6232435

Name:	IMG_2691.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	6232436

Name:	IMG_2692.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	6232437

Name:	IMG_3977.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	6232438

Attached Files

Comment

As it becomes clearer that this is a pretty early Seymour Duncan humbucker, what is it, then?
            Here is an early ad for SD humbuckers:

Name:	Duncan 1979.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	6232521
            It is not a 59 as these were, according to this ad, creme or zebra, the Customs were too strong (14k), the Seymourized must have had 4 wires, the JB had 4 wires. So, it could be a Jazz Model, or a Duncan Distortion. Or some custom design?

Comment

if the wire looks more orange than purple, id guess a jazz? if it was purple, id guess a 59 but those are just that, guesses

Comment

Originally posted by tzurby View Post
                As it becomes clearer that this is a pretty early Seymour Duncan humbucker, what is it, then?
                Here is an early ad for SD humbuckers:

Name:	Duncan 1979.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	6232521
                It is not a 59 as these were, according to this ad, creme or zebra, the Customs were too strong (14k), the Seymourized must have had 4 wires, the JB had 4 wires. So, it could be a Jazz Model, or a Duncan Distortion. Or some custom design?
                Can't be a Distortion at 7,64k Ohm

Comment

According to freefrog, it is either a '59 or a Jazz.

As a matter of fact, all my early SH1's came "creme" or zebra. But I don't consider all black early 59's as impossible : Duncan was not yet a big factory with standardized production 4 decades ago.

Except a neck SH1, the only early Duncan model matching your DCR measurement would be the Jazz/SH2 (technically close to a patent sticker T-Top, AFAIK/IME).

JB and Dist would have a twice higher DCR.
                  As the wire is more orange than purple, it's, according to jeremy, probably a Jazz. A Jazz that rocks...

Comment

Working...
                  X