banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Think it's worth it to get a custom shop pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think it's worth it to get a custom shop pickup?

I mean yes it definitely is in specific instances, obviously, but I'm not sure about mine.

I'm getting a new baritone, (mandocello technically but 30" bass actually, just tuning it CGDA like a cello,) and I'm planning to put a Black Winter in it. I'm debating having the custom shop wind it on either rails with one ceramic magnet, or as kind of a SLUG/Hawkbucker type with two ceramic magnets, (or 1 ceramic 1 A8?)

Has anyone done anything like this? I've heard the Black Winter is particularly sensitive to pickup height, so while I don't think the response is gonna be too bad using the 6-string version, if rails would make a significant difference I can probably pay the extra $70 without anxiety.
    Love,
    /Andy

If you have a specific idea that they can execute then it's worth it. You'll get what you want and it will be cool.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

I think due to the string spacing, it is absolutely worth getting a custom pickup with rails. You should also be able to specify the width if a normal humbucker isn't the right size (I am not sure how much room you have on the body).
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I don't think the Black Winter is any more sensiive to pickup height than any other pickup. It's just that it's so strong that you probably wanna have it further away from the strings than a Pearly Gates or an A2P. But I found it sounds pretty good in a wide range of pickup heights.

Of course, I personally find that the closer you can get every pickup without having too much an issue with string pull, the better it sounds, regardless. I feel like I'm squeezing the most out of them.

Comment

by changing those things, youll be changing the sound of the pup but i think both ideas could be awesome! where will the pup be located? in the middle like on a pbass or ?

Comment

Thanks for the responses! Looks like I'll probably end up going this direction.

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            by changing those things, youll be changing the sound of the pup but i think both ideas could be awesome! where will the pup be located? in the middle like on a pbass or ?
            Yeah, it's right on that middle fret harmonic. Do you think it'll lose too much of what makes the Black Winter what it is? I guess probably not as much as being in the middle position, huh
            Love,
            /Andy

Comment

I don't know if you want it to djent/chugg, though. I ask because you're considering the Black Winter. But I don't think even a Black Winter is going to make a middle position chugg/djent.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                I don't know if you want it to djent/chugg, though. I ask because you're considering the Black Winter. But I don't think even a Black Winter is going to make a middle position chugg/djent.
                No djent! Definitely power chords, but like, sloppily; more on the hardcore punk side of things.
                Love,
                /Andy

Comment

Originally posted by DepecheMoses View Post

No djent! Definitely power chords, but like, sloppily; more on the hardcore punk side of things.
                  I'd think you'd want something with a looser bass response then.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

I'd think you'd want something with a looser bass response then.
                    Oh hm, maybe something like an Invader? Or I do really like the way the Sentient splits, but probably not for this guitar. I also want it to maybe do piercing leads occasionally though, kind of a blackened crust thing.
                    Love,
                    /Andy

Comment

id think a bridge bw with rails in the middle would be a pretty sweet sound!

Comment

Working...
                      X