Hot Rails mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Rails mystery

I have two Hot Rails and a JB Humbucker. They are wired to three DPDT On/Off/On switches (series/off/parallel) according to the following link.
    https://guitarelectronics.com/humbucker-series-off-parallel/
    When I check the resistance at the output jack I get the following values:
    JB Humbucker: Parallel 4.06kΩ - Series 15.85kΩ
    Hot Rail: Parallel 5.26kΩ - Series 0
    Hot Rail: Parallel 5.33kΩ - Series 0
    I get nothing when switching the Hot Rails to series, yet it works on the JB Humbucker.
    Are the Hot Rails wired differently? What am I missing?
    Thanks everyone for trying to help me.

There are different switches on/off/on in the market. Their inner routing is different. Are they all of the same brand?
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Welcome to the forum

My guess is the jumper is not completely soldered, or is missing altogether.

Comment

Yes, the switches are all the same brand and the jumpers are soldered correctly.

Comment

Sanity check: you got red to black and white to green on the parallel position, yeah? Other way around would shut the pickup off.

Comment

It's exactly as shown in the wiring diagram.
            As I mentioned, it works with the JB Humbucker and the Hot Rails are essentially humbuckers with the same SD color codes black & white / red & green.
            It's a complete mystery to me.

Comment

I've had two Hot Rails (bridge versions) DOA. If nothing else checks out, get either a return or a refund, depending on whether you got them from an authorised dealer or not, if you're in the USA.
              Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Would have to see clear photos of the switch AND the rest of the wiring, as other components could be interacting to ground out the pickup. There's hundreds of threads on here saying "It's exactly like the diagram", but yet it doesn't work, and when there's photos, we find out what part isn't like the diagram.

Comment

Originally posted by Synapsys View Post
                  I've had two Hot Rails (bridge versions) DOA. If nothing else checks out, get either a return or a refund, depending on whether you got them from an authorised dealer or not, if you're in the USA.
                  thats pretty rare. ive bought dozens of duncan pups new and never had a doa, but im sure it does happen every so often. even if it tests fine at the factory, something could come loose in shipping

Comment

Maybe it's me, but test a pickup with a DMM before I do any wiring.
                    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post

thats pretty rare. ive bought dozens of duncan pups new and never had a doa, but im sure it does happen every so often. even if it tests fine at the factory, something could come loose in shipping
                      Probably that, definitely. But It happened to me thrice in a row, with two Hor Rails and a Full Shred.

Still use Duncans to this day, though.
                      Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Originally posted by NVR_NUF View Post
                        I have two Hot Rails and a JB Humbucker. They are wired to three DPDT On/Off/On switches (series/off/parallel) according to the following link.
                        When I check the resistance at the output jack I get the following values:
                        JB Humbucker: Parallel 4.06kΩ - Series 15.85kΩ
                        Hot Rail: Parallel 5.26kΩ - Series 0
                        Hot Rail: Parallel 5.33kΩ - Series 0
                        I get nothing when switching the Hot Rails to series, yet it works on the JB Humbucker.
                        Are the Hot Rails wired differently? What am I missing?
                        Thanks everyone for trying to help me.

So the rails make no sound at all or they just don't show a DCR?

When you're using series on the JB, that's those 2 coils in series or is that the JB in series with 1 or more rails?
                        JC
                        -2023 Indio 66SB DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ P90s
                        -2020 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ Seth Lover neck & '59 Model bridge w/ Faber hardware(#1 guitar)
                        -2021 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Iced Tea Burst
                        -2023 Indio Boardwalk (335-style)
                        -2022 Indio Retro DLX Plus(T-style) - w/ Fender AVRI 62 Custom neck & 52 bridge pickups.
                        -2020 Stage Right 1x12" 15w tube combo(Laney Cub 12R)

Comment

I get a sound from the rails when flipping the switch to parallel but no sound when in series. The JB, by itself, works in both modes. I may have to de-solder the rails and test them. Looks like they are not working.

Comment

Yes, I would definitely unsolder everything and test each pup separately (out of the circuit) with a multimeter...each individual coil. I can't imagine that there is anything wrong with the pups themselves. Seriously expect a problem with the wiring.
                            Originally Posted by IanBallard
                            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                            X