banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HSH (Prail neck, hot rails middle, dimebucker bridge)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSH (Prail neck, hot rails middle, dimebucker bridge)

I'm looking into doing a build with the pickups in the tittle on a warmoth jazzmaster build. I will have plenty of room for switches and wires. I'll have quite a lot of options for splitting, phase changing, and series vs parallel operation. Anyhow I'm wondering if anyone has tried this before or has advice. I'm tempted to get a hyperswitch and plug them in and just figure out which combinations I truly want then fuss with final wiring. I want to be able to get close to a fender strat sound as you can by splitting but also kick in the bridge and paf to get agressive tones. The middle strat pickup I'm open for suggestions the most on.

id go cool rails over hot rails. even the hot rails neck model is darker and middier than the cool rails bridge model.

tons of options there. i love the triple shots with the prails, but find the p90 and parallel options get used the most.

Comment

The HyperSwitch is a great idea to try a bunch of combos. As far as the middle pickup...what sound are you going for there? Do you want Stratty sounds, or full humbucker sounds. And if a humbucker sound is what you want...what kind of sound?
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        The HyperSwitch is a great idea to try a bunch of combos. As far as the middle pickup...what sound are you going for there? Do you want Stratty sounds, or full humbucker sounds. And if a humbucker sound is what you want...what kind of sound?
        I'm wanting versatility. I want to be able to chug like Gary Holt or Dimebag Darrell then flip switches and stomp a pedal and play stuff like Mark Knopfler or Billy Gibbons then more switches and effects and do stuff like David Gilmore or Edge. I know this setup won't get me 100% of those tones but just like my playing I'm looking at being close as a success.

Comment

Originally posted by garyS503 View Post

I'm wanting versatility. I want to be able to chug like Gary Holt or Dimebag Darrell then flip switches and stomp a pedal and play stuff like Mark Knopfler or Billy Gibbons then more switches and effects and do stuff like David Gilmore or Edge. I know this setup won't get me 100% of those tones but just like my playing I'm looking at being close as a success.
          So I am guessing you'd want more of a single coil sound with the middle pickup. Neither the Cool Rails nor Hot Rails can do the single coil quack thing- you might look at a noiseless stack, like the Classic Stack.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'm looking into doing a build with the pickups in the tittle on a warmoth jazzmaster build. I will have plenty of room for switches and wires. I'll have quite a lot of options for splitting, phase changing, and series vs parallel operation. Anyhow I'm wondering if anyone has tried this before or has advice. I'm tempted to get a hyperswitch and plug them in and just figure out which combinations I truly want then fuss with final wiring. I want to be able to get close to a fender strat sound as you can by splitting but also kick in the bridge and paf to get agressive tones. The middle strat pickup I'm open for suggestions the most on.
            Which pickup are you referring to as the "paf"?
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

Which pickup are you referring to as the "paf"?
              The Prail with the rail off

Comment

the p90 sounds great, but isnt anything like a paf

Comment

The Prail with the rail off
                  As Jeremy said, that's a P-90 coil not a paf. Also agree that the Cool Rails would probably be a better option than the Hot Rails for the middle position. A Triple Shot mounting ring on the P-Rail is also a very good suggestion so you can get series/parallel/split to P-90/split to Rail.

So many options with just the bridge and neck pups. I'll bet you can get some great tones with that guitar.

But, I don't think you you're going to get Strat sounds. Maybe something similar.

p-90
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                  X