Hondo Fame 763 - Wiring Diagram Req

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hondo Fame 763 - Wiring Diagram Req

Bought an old $40 Hondo Fame 763, dismantled, parts there but unwired.

Has two single coils and a humbucker.

Looks like the 3 pickups each have a mini toggle to turn on/off. There are 3 pots, assuming a volume a tone and? Fir the third. Also a mini toggle near the pots, thinking a splitter for the humbucker.

Anyone know for sure about which pot controls what? And anyone have a wiring diagram?

Click image for larger version

Name:	fiurevoyzizrarrxzhci.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	6237202

Maybe volume and 2 tones, like a Strat? I'd guess the other switch either splits the humbucker or is a series/parallel switch. Interesting bridge, too.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

found some info
      • Tricktone circuitry (Ver. 2 & 3)
        • Individual on/off mini-switches
        • Coil Tap mini-switch
        • Treble roll-on/off
      • 1 Vol, 2 Tone (Ver. 2 & 3)
      So...picked it up today, and some of the wiring is intact, and 1 switch and 1 pot missing. Seems he dismantled it a decade ago. Sadly when got home realized that (for whatever reason) he cut the leads off at the pickup not the switches/pots, and the 2 single coils have no leads at all. I managed to get the humbucker to show a reading, but the tow singles may be dead.

In any case... I loved using Illustrator and making wiring diagrams so, I'll see if I can make one that makes some semblance of sense.
      Last edited by THRobinson; 06-15-2023, 11:07 PM.

Comment

OK... so far this is what I was able to make based on what's left of the wiring harness. As you can see, the jack, split and volume are missing in the harness and no clue what wire goes where in the diagram.

Ok, site being a pain... shrinking the image or making blurry. I'll try IMGUR

Last edited by THRobinson; 06-16-2023, 01:01 AM.

Comment

There's a Hohner guitar with individual pickup switches, but missing the split switch, instead having some active control. That might be a better start just to get some sound from the selector switches.

The Hondo one looks a bit none sensical. It doesn't make sense that half the bridge goes to the tone and half goes to the pickup switch. The middle/neck tones would work, but there's nothing sending signal to the jack. I don't know what the green/red wires are doing on all the switches. Also doesn't make sense that both the black and red wires of the singles go to the same switch. Something will have to be grounded there or you'll never get sound.

Comment

Well, the link you sent shows both single coil wires going to the same switch. Assuming black in ground and red is hot for those?

As for no signal to the jack, well, maybe on the volume? Remember, the harness is missing a pot, a switch and a jack.... that's why it's posted, to see if a wiring guru can fix/finish the diagram.

From what you sent, I guess black (ground) on the jack can go to the back of any pot, and assume a ground to bridge as well.

I guess, the red from the 3way toggles that daisy chain one-to-the-other would go to the top lug of the vol, and the middle lug would go to the jack? last lug grounded?

My guess is that the black/white from the humbucker go to the split and the split to the tone?

Comment

If you look carefully, one of the wires goes straight to ground, and the ground is on one end of the switch, not both to the center lugs. In order to enable a pickup, you are basically either grounding it out, or moving the hot wire to the hot output via the volume control and then to the jack. The hot and ground of the pickups can't be on the same lugs to do that.

Are the pickups original Hondo brand? What are the assignments of the wire colors of the humbucker? E.g. which is hot, which two are the series link, which is the ground?

Comment

Pickups seem original, but, as mentioned is post #3, the guy pulled the leads off the single coils. Just the spots where the solder was remains and 0 readings with a multimeter. Humbucker has 1" of 4-wire shielded lead hanging off it and I get a reading off each coil. The Harness has some of the pickup leads attached BUT may just be the same wire used and didn't go directly to the pickup, maybe something between the two.

Humbucker wise... it's basically this (attached image). Black-Red give a reading and White-Green give a reading... not in front of it now, but I think both were around 4.25KOhm. In my diagram I have the black/red/green and I have the bare shielding wire grey, and white is a beige colour since well, white-on-white doesn't show up well.

Wiring though... guy bought it 20yrs ago at a pawn shop, then 10yrs ago took it apart and started to sand the body, then never touched it again. That said, I just drew what I had left of the harness, and also no idea if buddy tried re-soldering stuff together again or not.

I guess a more accurate diagram of what I have though would have a gap between the humbucker wires and where they are on the pots/switches since again, may be something in between. I'll repost the diagram and add the gap.

Sucks, sanded through the paint in a few spots along the edges else I soulda buffed it to a shine again. Alder body, neck pocket has nice grain so, will sand off the paint and spray with water, hopefully see through the sealer that way enough to know if nice grain. If nice, sand to wood and oil finish... if not, leave the sealer on and refinish it. Sucks because headstock a dark blue not black to match the body so since can't match that colour very likely, I'll have to recreate the logo as a waterslide decal. PITA but I was a designer so, not hard to do.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ha1c2c7941d6144689c5047f7f45e9b6d2.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	6237574

Comment

OK... so THIS is more accurate to what I have. Short lead on the humbucker, none at all on the singles so no assumption as to where those go.

Only assumption is the addition of the vol pot and 2-way toggle split because we know the guitar has those.

The colours do match what the harness has.

Figured there would be something close to this out there, diagram wise. So far, not having much luck getting a working diagram finished.

I guess safe to assume the black on the jack is ground, and just put that to the 2nd tone pot, as well as a bridge ground, and another up to the vol pot to ground everything.

Jack red wire, to the middle jug on the vol?

Single Coils, would have 2 leads so my original diagram was probably right, the red/black from the switches go direct to the singles?

I gotta think that the humbucker goes to the split before the on/off toggle...

Comment

Hmm... sadly not a lot people chiming in on this one.
                    Last edited by THRobinson; 06-20-2023, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X