Split or Parallel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split or Parallel

I currently have a Black Winter bridge paired with a Jazz neck, although I dont mind the Jazz neck, I am thinking about adding a Black Winter neck to the guitar to match the bridge. With that I'm pondering replacing the regular volume pot with a push pull volume to run both pickups in either parallel or split.

The guitar itself is a single volume, no tone, so would this actually be possible for both pickups or would I need to add a pot.

Those who have run them either split or parallel, whats your thoughts on the idea.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

you can split two pups with one p/p pot but you can only put one pup in parallel with that same switch. if i was in your shoes, id go split for both pups to have a brighter/thinner/lower output set of options rather than parallel for one. unless there is something specific you are going?

Comment

Not looking for anything specific, just looking explore some different sounds out of the guitar.
      Jackson Soloist 7 string
      ESP LTD M-400

Comment

I think splitting both with a p/p would give a set of more useful sounds than just putting one pickup in parallel.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Split, unlike parallel, isn't noiseless, if that may be a deciding factor.
          Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Originally posted by Synapsys View Post
            Split, unlike parallel, isn't noiseless, if that may be a deciding factor.
            Could be a consideration but I just play at home, probably not a huge issue, though I was aware of it.
            Jackson Soloist 7 string
            ESP LTD M-400

Comment

You can however make it so when 1 coil from each humbucker is selected, it cancels out the hum.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks fellas, time to do some ordering.
                Jackson Soloist 7 string
                ESP LTD M-400

Comment

I would go with split though that is just a personal preference. What I will say is the BWn is matched and voiced perfectly for the BWb, it is an amazing set. You are going to really enjoy yourself.

Comment

I also prefer split. It's annoying that it's not hum free, but I just prefer the sound. Parallel is brighter, but it's always missing something single coil-y that split has.
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

i agree. i like parallel as an option, but split sounds more single coil like. go figure, its only one coil

Comment

Not all of my split humbuckers have an overly noticeable hum, my Dimebucker split is still pretty quiet. My Fralin Pure PAF is also pretty quite split.

Comment

This is really an issue of what you want to do with this lower output option.

Do you want Single coil tones? Then by all means split. FYI a split Humbucker is less noisy than a true single just because of the proximity of the other coil.

Do you want a very clean, but weak, Humbucker sound? Then parallel is the way to go.

Time and a place for each...

If you are willing to add a knob, might I suggest two on/on/on mini switches instead? Each switch puts a pickup in series/parallel/split mode. Run it anyway you want for each pickup.

Also - hot pickups are awesome for this. I used to run a DiMarzio X2N that way and it had all sorts of cool sounds, because even split/parallel had a decent amount of output.
                          Last edited by Aceman; 06-21-2023, 11:16 AM.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

i feel like im saying this a lot recently, but you if you get a 4pdt on/on/on switch, you can switch two buckers series/split/parallel at the same time. i prefer that over having two separate switches

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                              i feel like im saying this a lot recently, but you if you get a 4pdt on/on/on switch, you can switch two buckers series/split/parallel at the same time. i prefer that over having two separate switches
                              I said that somewhere recently.
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X