clint! double thick magnets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clint! double thick magnets

so im gonna make a double thick a2 finally. i have plenty of bars, whats the process? glue two together, let it set, then remagnatize? what glue have you found works best?

Yo! Yes, that's about the process. I use those little packs of ez mix epoxy because it's damn near indestructible. I sand the magnet surfaces that will be bonded so it adheres well. Then I just let opposite poles attract to hold them together. After it sets run it through the magnetizer and it resets the poles.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

simple enough, thanks! hopefully ill get to it this week and see how it works. got a gig tonight after work otherwise id start it then. gonna put it in the bridge of the antiquity in my les paul. might make a double thick a3 while im at it.

Comment

How long does a magnetizer take?
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

^ It works instantaneously. I have this one, it's 2 neo magnets in a vice. When I go to run the magnet through it, it rips the magnet out of my hands.

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          simple enough, thanks! hopefully ill get to it this week and see how it works. got a gig tonight after work otherwise id start it then. gonna put it in the bridge of the antiquity in my les paul. might make a double thick a3 while im at it.
          You're welcome. That should work out well. I think the Ant bridge is probably one of the best candidates for double thick A2. Double thick A3 is good too.
          I bought them for you

Comment

i almost always use a pair of neodymium bars. 3" long, 1" wide, and 0.5" thick. they are in a vise with one sliding jaw so i put a thin piece of plastic between the one magnet and the pup, then slide the other jaw/neo bar with a similar thin piece of plastic to that side of the pup, let it sit a few seconds, then draw it back and remove the pup. i then test the pup with a hand held magnetometer to make sure it looks ok. i do have other methods but this one is quick and easy.

edit: so i basically have the homemade version of that, with much bigger neo bars. i also have 0.25" bars, and 0.125" bars i could use in the same vise setup if i wanted to

Comment

That's cool about your home made device. Do you open the jaw before you remove the magnet? I think it's possible that could set the poles off since the neo magnets are so strong. I set the jaw with like a mm of clearance, stick the mag in, let it sit, and then rip it out without opening the jaw.
              I bought them for you

Comment

one jaw is sliding on my vise, where on yours its threaded.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0514.jpg Views:	14 Size:	86.2 KB ID:	6237942

Comment

wrong pic, thats one of the neo bars obviously. heres the vise

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0513.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	6237944

Comment

Those are fat magnets lol.
                    I bought them for you

Comment

yep. battery was just for scale. they are 3" x 1" x 0.5" as i said above.

in the pic above, i put the bars on the jaws of the vise, with a piece of thin plastic over the face of the magnets. i put the alnico bar in so its touching the plastic on the top jaw neo, then slide the bottom jaw up so the bottom plastic is touching the alnico bar, let it sit for a second or two, slide the bottom jaw all the way back quickly, then pull the alnico bar off the top jaw straight towards the bottom jaw till the alnico bar is about half way between the two neo bars (4-5" from either) then lift it out. seems to give pretty evenly distributed magnetism on the alnico bar without having to drag out my electromagnet

Comment

Interesting. I've never done this, so I like learning things like this.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Couldn't you just glue and clamp two magnets together with like poles together (mags repelling each other)? Then you wouldn't have to remagnetize them.
                          Originally Posted by IanBallard
                          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

yes? ive never done this before but clint has so im following his lead. if didnt have stuff to remagnatize, id probably try that, but since i do its not a big deal. im also guessing that the magnetic field will be different once the two magnets are glued together but i have no idea. this is an experiment for me

Comment

im also guessing that the magnetic field will be different once the two magnets are glued together but i have no idea.
                              I can't imagine that the magnetic field would be different...just stronger.

this is an experiment for me
                              And an interesting one at that. Please let us know the results, tonewise, of this experiment. Very interested. If I had the time, I might want to try it myself.
                              Last edited by GuitarDoc; 06-22-2023, 08:18 AM.
                              Originally Posted by IanBallard
                              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                              X