Custom Shop Peter Frampton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SFW View Post

Just checking in to see how they worked out for you.

Hi there! The Frampton Comes Alive set is Pure Perfection.
    I can get Frampton's ''Do You Feel Like I Do'' tone on the middle position, Slash's/Gary Moore creamy neck pickup tone for melody is here with enough bite, and it can certainly ROCK (& METAL) on the bridge pickup. Not being wax potted, it can feedback at times (at least when I record in front of my speaker monitors), but haven't heard a thing playing thru my Blackstar HT-40.
    They're worth the investment and I do prefer them over the Seymour Duncan Antiquity Set.

Whatever you like Frampton or not, you'll definitely have the LP (Les Paul) guitar tone that's historically iconic. There's really nothing I can't get out of them, and I don't hope to sell them anytime soon. They'll remain on my guitar.

My pickups specs:
    Alnico II Pickups
    Bridge: 8.37K
    Neck: 7.58K

I haven't popped up the covers to see what's underneath of them. Mine is Foo Fighters tone out Amp Shopping....
    Signed by MJ & Peter Frampton. There's also a little bit extra signed by Seymour & MJ. Very cool, memorabilia, and collector's item.

I made an unboxing a few months back on my IG: https://www.instagram.com/p/CvGaSbxrE-t/?img_index=1
    I also played around a little bit when they got installed. You can listen to them here: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cv4r9dHtIsn/
    Just some random noodling (on purpose) to test them out.
    Check out my solo singer/songwriter/guitarist work on Facebook!
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

can you compare the frampton and antiquity bridge pups?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        can you compare the frampton and antiquity bridge pups?
        Sure!
        While I did like the Antiquity bridge, the Frampton Comes Alive feels better.

The Antiquity bridge is a very good rock and roll vintage sounding pickup but tamed, and held back. Perhaps the aged magnet is the culprit. I also felt it didn't cut properly nor has the LP sound.
        To my ears, it could be the right pickup for an ES or perhaps an SG, just not a LP. I felt a dip in the upper mids. Regarding noise/feedback concerns, the Antiquity never gave me any sort of feedback issues, the Frampton set did.

The Frampton Comes Alive set feels like a set made for a Les Paul. It feels natural and right. The bridge has cut, the upper mids and lots of clarity. Beware! Treble may feel too much at times depending of amp, speaker, amp sim, and IR settings. Tone knob has to be used.

The thing is if you would like a smoother, vintage, and tamed experience or just have the right experience from the get go.
        The Frampton set will remain on the guitar, and the Antiquity set got sold to someone in Texas. I believe that says something.

Recommendation for the Antiquity set: Restore upper mids and get rid of what's holding back the pickup tone.

For the Frampton Set: I like it as it's. Balanced with no scooping or mids boosted (mid frequencies). I would definitely request a little more mids for it, but nothing that can't be done by adjusting settings. Perhaps that's the intention. I wonder if the Frampton Set is supposed to be a P.A.F. made for Frampton or a copy of the Tom Holmes he uses... Perhaps is a copy of the set MJ wound for him back when she met him.
        Check out my solo singer/songwriter/guitarist work on Facebook!
        Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

Working...
        X