banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PRS pickup wiring...why is this so difficult!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRS pickup wiring...why is this so difficult!?

Is there anyone on here who is familiar with the conductor wiring on PRS pickups?
    This crap is really frustrating and I don't understand why PRS can't provide wiring diagrams with the pickups they sell. I bought a PRS \m/ metal bridge pickup to install in my 2000 PRS Singlecut Goldtop. The stock pickups in the Singlecut are braided PRS #7 pickups.
    I noticed on this \m/ pickup I recently purchased that it is a gray 4 conductor cable pickup, and not a gray 3 conductor cable like the last set I purchased.
    The wires are black, red, white, green and a braided ground. The only 4 conductor wiring diagram I can find on the PRS website is for the Tremonti pickup with a white conductor cable, and the wiring diagram reads:
    -Black (hot)
    -Red & Green (tape together)
    -White (ground)
    -Braided cable (ground)

The problem is, is that I tried wiring this pickup into my guitar using the Tremonti wiring diagram as a reference, and I'm not having any luck.
    The tone in the bridge position sounds very vintage, and not high output. The sound while in the 2nd position sounds very nasally and gives me the Peter Green "out of phase" tone. I checked the polarity on the slug winds of both pickups, and they both read south.
    I just wanted to know, what I'm doing wrong and what do I need to do to properly wire this pickup into the guitar so that it will be properly "in phase" with the original neck pickup while the switch is in the 2nd position?
    "Do you think the bass is taking away from the vocals?" Dirk Diggler

Annoying isn't it? I always take my PRS's to my local tech and let him deal with it!​​
    Jackson Dominion Bourbon Burst-Duncan '59 bridge, Screamin' Demon neck
    Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)
    Dean Chicago Flame V Classic Black-Dimarzio Super Distortion neck & bridge
    Laney, Peavey, Marshall...

Comment

Originally posted by soulforger View Post
      Annoying isn't it? I always take my PRS's to my local tech and let him deal with it!​​
      I'm perfectly capable of doing the wiring job. The problem is, is that PRS has archived wiring diagrams for various pickups, and their is no wiring diagram for the pup I have. Hence, while I'm having this issue lol.
      "Do you think the bass is taking away from the vocals?" Dirk Diggler

Comment

There's a thread on here somewhere where I believe either ArtieToo or GuitarDoc (sorry, can't remember who) explained how to figure out which wire is the start and end for each coil using a multi-meter. If you search for that, it might help work out the wire colors on your pickup.

Comment

Working...
        X