Solderless wiring kit and the ground wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solderless wiring kit and the ground wire

Long story that I will try and make short.

I purchased a Nazgul for my bridge to go along a Pegasus & Sentinent for one of my guitars. Well, genius here forgot it was an HSS so the Nazgul went in and I had the other two humbuckers that I was going to return. Instead, I found a project guitar on Reverb and when it came, I found that is has a solderless wiring kit. I don't know what brand and the guy I bought it from has no idea either. I am looking at the wiring diagram and I think I got it but where the heck does the ground wire go in this kind of set up? I've seen other forums where they say, "just put the hot wire in the harness, screw it down, and you are good." Do I just tape off the ground?

So much for making that short.

Thanks in advance.

welcome to the forum!

you want the ground wire to be grounded. without knowing what you have, its hard to tell ya what to do. got a good picture?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      welcome to the forum!

you want the ground wire to be grounded. without knowing what you have, its hard to tell ya what to do. got a good picture?
      Here we go...thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Solderless Pot.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	6239543
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Pick ups.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	6239544

Comment

Unfortunately, your pic is too dark to really see anything. A "good picture" would be one that is bright and clear and shows all of the wire connections. It would also be great if you could add description of where each wire is coming from (neck pickup lead, neck ground, etc.).

If you have a multimeter, you could test what each of the connections are/where they're going. Typically, you'd just solder the ground to the back of a pot, but you don't want to "tape it off"...it's necessary to be grounded.

My first inclination would be to say forget about the solderless wiring kit. They may seam easy to use, but my experience is they don't keep good connections like directly soldering does. Plus it's just so much easier and quicker to solder than to figure out what the solderless connecting block does (if you don't have the directions).
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

it is hard to see in that pic where everything goes, but it does look like there may be a ground wire from the pot case to the solder free thing?

Comment

2 things:
            1. Need to make sure the kit, particularly the pot, has a ground connection to the ground of the jack.
            2. Then you could just connect the pickup grounds to the back of the pot.

Comment

Working...
            X