Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grounding issue after pickup swap

Hello,

I exchanged my SD Jazz set for the Slash set on my Gibson Les Paul (the Jazz was too brittle for my taste) and for some reason I'm getting quite a lot of hum when neither hand is touching a metal part of the instrument. There's no polarity issue because the guitar sounds perfect when I'm playing, but the buzz, which tends to be a bit when both hands are off the instrument, is too loud. Any suggestions on where I messed up? How can I identify where the problem is?
    One more thing: when I touch the screw that holds the pickup, the noise gets much louder
    Last edited by Flores_68; 07-10-2023, 12:37 PM.

You may want to post a picture of your solder joints for the knowledgeable to look at but kinda sounds like it could be a bad solder joint. Recheck your solder joints, maybe reflow the solder.

Now Im not very knowledgeable about this, so I am sure someone else more knowledgeable will come along and correct me.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

From the description, it makes me think:
      1. The ground from the bridge/tailpiece got disconnected
      2. It's not clear if you are touching the pickup height screw while touching the strings, or just touching it alone. If you are touching the screw and while touching the strings and the buzz gets louder, I might think the pickups could be wired in reverse phase to ground? Or the metal braid or cover of each pickup is not grounded?

Comment

", I might think the pickups could be wired in reverse phase to ground?"

Thank you very much! It was exactly it. On my defense, I have to say that changing pickups on a PCB can be confusing, but it's perfect now.

Comment

glad you got it sorted!

Comment

I've done that a few times, too. Now I know what to look for! haha
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
            X