banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two SH-2b's at the same time? Is this a bad idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two SH-2b's at the same time? Is this a bad idea?

Hi,

I'm new here and I'm hoping some of you more experienced folks would consider chiming in.

I've been a drummer 25 years (I know, I know) and have always dabbled in guitar and now I'm getting a little more serious. I recently bought an Ibanez AS73fm and want to swap out the pickups. I play blues, general rock, some hard rock. I was originally thinking Jazz/JB but have started to think the JB might be a too hot, so I started looking around. I know I want a jazz in the neck, but I'm considering a jazz bridge pickup for the bridge position. I found some old posts that seemed to make a good case for this. While looking those over, I noticed people suggesting using an SH-2b in the neck position. Would it be a bad idea to do an SH-2B in both positions in a semi-hollow? Is it, tonally-speaking, pointless? Further, I have some thoughts about push-pull splitting them as well.
    Last edited by BMKE; 07-18-2023, 03:37 PM.

welcome to the forum!

i would suggest a sh2n and sh2b, not two sh2b models. the sh2b in the neck is great when using a hotter pup in the bridge like a distortion or dimebucker or something like that. with a jazz bridge, i would always use a jazz neck

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense. I'm finding myself overwhelmed with options. I'm thinking a sh-2b but still considering 59/Custom hybrid or maybe the Alnico II pro. From the samples I've heard, I don't think I like the custom 5 or the Pearly gates. But still not sure if I should also be considering the regular 59 or the Seth Lover. Spoilt for choice, I suppose.

I didn't really mean for this to turn into a more detailed "which should I get" post, but it appears to have done so. I hope it isn't too annoying. If anyone is willing to weigh in, I'd appreciate it.
      Last edited by BMKE; 07-18-2023, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BMKE View Post
        While looking those over, I noticed people suggesting using an SH-2b in the neck position. Would it be a bad idea to do an SH-2B in both positions in a semi-hollow? Is it, tonally-speaking, pointless? Further, I have some thoughts about push-pull splitting them as well.
        Hello,

Initially, Gibson humbuckers weren't designed for neck or bridge positions. It's even relatively current to see vintage Gibson's with a neck PU stronger than the bridge one.

Now, the idea of dedicated N & B humbuckers didn't become a norm without reason... it's obviously more difficult to balance the output of pickups if the bridge unit is not beefier than the other.

Whatever you decide, SH2's appear to me as a good choice for an AS73: the design and materials of this semi-hollow model work well with not too strong Gibson style HB's IME. :-)

Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

i think a jazz set for modern tones is a great choice. they can do almost anything. if you wanted something more vintage sounding then a 59 or aph set would be fine as well. seth lovers are fantastic pups but not potted so, if presented with high gain at loud volume, could be microphonic. though i have not found that to be an issue.

Comment

It is unlikely that I will be playing at too loud of volumes as I mostly just play at home and in my home studio. I've got a little Boss Nextone amp which seems to do the job without needing to be cranked, though something tube may be in my eventual future.

I think part of my problem is that I want to be able to get the "classic" bluesy overdrive tones and harder rock tones (classic rock/AC/DC style) while getting a little bit of extra "bite/chime" out of the clean sound. I don't know if that is possible as I know those adjectives are usually reserved for P90s/single coils (which I have an aversion to because I hate pickup noise) and not semi-hollows. Is it strange to want warm, round sustain tones but bite on hard strums and digging-in picking? Is it even possible or am I asking too much of my instrument/Pups?
            Last edited by BMKE; 07-18-2023, 05:34 PM.

Comment

get a jazz set, i think youll be happy

Comment

The Jazz set is a highly under-rated / considered set. I think it will be great. No real need for uber hot hum buckers these days given the levels of gain available in an amp or pedal.

If you dig the sound and the EQ profile, go for it. As mentioned - get the set n/b models.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

The Jazz set is a really good set, especially if you like brighter, dynamic sound. They are sort of mis-named, as they are actually better for rock and blues than traditional jazz.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I think part of my problem is that I want to be able to get the "classic" bluesy overdrive tones and harder rock tones (classic rock/AC/DC style) while getting a little bit of extra "bite/chime" out of the clean sound. I don't know if that is possible as I know those adjectives are usually reserved for P90s/single coils (which I have an aversion to because I hate pickup noise) and not semi-hollows. Is it strange to want warm, round sustain tones but bite on hard strums and digging-in picking? Is it even possible or am I asking too much of my instrument/Pups?
                    What Jeremy, Aceman and Mincer said.

For the record: classic AC/DC = T-Tops in a SG, for a good part. Same thing for BB King with his ES semi-hollow guitars, for instance and when it comes to blues. And the SH2 is a kind of T-Top beefed up by a long A5 magnet. Especially the neck version (same specs than a classic T-Top, except the mag; the bridge SH2 has a bit more muscle).

Warm round sustain and bite on hard strums seems certainly possible with such relatively underwound humbuckers if they are properly mounted / set and paired with the right components.

Furthermore, AS73's are rather warm sounding for structural reasons, IME. Less tight than Gibson or Epiphone ES models. Hence the interest of relatively underwound HB's.

BTW, a Gotoh bridge might contribute to more clarity as well. The Ibanez stop bar is fine and so are the tuners. But the bridge is not made of an optimal alloy and not always properly slotted IME.

Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

I love the Jazz set also, but I use 250k pots with mine. Takes a subtle bit of the edge off, in a good way. IMHO.

Comment

Thank you to all of you for your advice and encouragement. If I do the jazz set (proper N/B), is there any value in installing coil splits (push-pulls) for them? As someone who likes options this seems like something I should do. But, as someone who doesn't know what they don't know about this stuff, I thought it better to ask.

Artie, I've read about the 250 vs 500k thing but find myself flummoxed in that I haven't heard a 500 vs 250 to really understand how the sound changes (I'll have to do some more internet looking on that specifically).

Freefrog, I've been contemplating a list of "future" upgrades and had been thinking about tuners/bridge. I had been looking at gotoh but then wondered if I was getting ahead of myself.

Comment

Coil splits in a Jazz sound great. 250k will be a little darker than 500k, btw.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thank you to all of you for your advice and encouragement. If I do the jazz set (proper N/B), is there any value in installing coil splits (push-pulls) for them? As someone who likes options this seems like something I should do. But, as someone who doesn't know what they don't know about this stuff, I thought it better to ask.

Artie, I've read about the 250 vs 500k thing but find myself flummoxed in that I haven't heard a 500 vs 250 to really understand how the sound changes (I'll have to do some more internet looking on that specifically).

Freefrog, I've been contemplating a list of "future" upgrades and had been thinking about tuners/bridge. I had been looking at gotoh but then wondered if I was getting ahead of myself.
                            Jazz set (with proper neck and bridge) will do what you need. Use 500k pots. You'll have all the treble you need available, and if it's ever too much, you can roll the knobs down a bit. But if it's not there to start with, you can't add treble later. First play the guitar, and only buy parts you need to solve a problem when you identify you actually have a problem.

Comment

I've never had a problem running two of the same pickups in both positions.

EMG 81/81, EMG 85/85, DiMarzio PAF Pro/PAF Pro. I like it way better than running a hot bridge pickup with a super underpowered neck pickup like the JB/Jazz set, personally.

However, if you have the chance to choose, I do think those low output winds with the very slightly overwound bridge pickup do make better sense.
                              Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 07-19-2023, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X