Duncan Solar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan Solar

I've had good and bad luck with SD's overseas pickups, mostly good, but the Solars are pretty great. The neck seems very close to a '59, smooth and fat for leads. The bridge is based on a C5, which I have very limited experience with. In a set-thru maple/mahogany guitar, it does as you'd expect Ola's pickup to do, and chugs like a mother. Very articulate and clear, extremely tight and, well, chuggy. Both sound great clean, as well.

Anybody else have a Solar guitar and tried these?
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

I'd love to try those. I'm not big on the Custom 5, but I'd love to give that one a try.

I'm GASing horribly for a Solar At the Gates sig with the Fishmasn. At the Gates is my favorite band.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
      I've had good and bad luck with SD's overseas pickups, mostly good, but the Solars are pretty great. The neck seems very close to a '59, smooth and fat for leads. The bridge is based on a C5, which I have very limited experience with. In a set-thru maple/mahogany guitar, it does as you'd expect Ola's pickup to do, and chugs like a mother. Very articulate and clear, extremely tight and, well, chuggy. Both sound great clean, as well.

Anybody else have a Solar guitar and tried these?
      Overseas pickups? What's the deal? I didn't know that Duncan did that.

Do not be wise in words - be wise in deeds.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyGuitarCA View Post

Overseas pickups? What's the deal? I didn't know that Duncan did that.
        Duncan Designed, Duncan Performer, now Duncan Solar are all made to Duncan spec in Asia. They've been a thing for probably 20 years or so.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
          I'd love to try those. I'm not big on the Custom 5, but I'd love to give that one a try.

I'm GASing horribly for a Solar At the Gates sig with the Fishmasn. At the Gates is my favorite band.
          I don't like the C5 either, but I really like the Solar. It's way tighter than a C5, and harmonics are effortless. Just spent like half an hour with it plugged in, and ran through all my Pantera riffs in typical Ola fashion, and it sounds as good as it did yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post

Duncan Designed, Duncan Performer, now Duncan Solar are all made to Duncan spec in Asia. They've been a thing for probably 20 years or so.
            I knew about the first 2 you listed but was unaware that the Solar pickups were made overseas. Thanks for the info.

Do not be wise in words - be wise in deeds.

Comment

Working...
            X