HS Super Strat wiring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HS Super Strat wiring?

Will this wiring work with a JB bridge and a SSL-6 neck? (I've read the SSL-6 in the neck works better with a 500K pot. If that's the case I'd just leave the resistor off.)
    The guitar is a chambered swamp ash body with a 24.75 conversion neck. If you have a better pickup combo recommendation I'd like to hear it.

Also, If you can check my wiring diagram I'd appreciate it.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	hs.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.7 KB ID:	6243185
    Last edited by markster65; 08-03-2023, 02:19 PM.

In terms of a better pickup combo...what are you playing with it?
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      In terms of a better pickup combo...what are you playing with it?
      Hard rock. I do like my single coil cleans too

Comment

That wiring doesn't do what's stated. For a start, position 1 and position 3 are jumpered together, instead of the common lugs, which are currently empty. You've got the neck on position 1. The humbucker is wired 'inside out' and I believe it's done in a way that you'll only ever get one coil except the phase is reverse. Is there a reason for doing it this way?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
          That wiring doesn't do what's stated. For a start, position 1 and position 3 are jumpered together, instead of the common lugs, which are currently empty. You've got the neck on position 1. The humbucker is wired 'inside out' and I believe it's done in a way that you'll only ever get one coil except the phase is reverse. Is there a reason for doing it this way?
          I based it in the below wiring diagram. So this wont work? I just want position 1 bridge humbucker, position 2 split humbucker north coil and SC neck, position 3 SC neck only.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	hsr.png
Views:	332
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	6243209

Comment

Originally posted by markster65 View Post

Hard rock. I do like my single coil cleans too
            I'd suggest a more 'single coil' sounding single coil (but that's hum-cancelling): a Classic Stack Plus.

Comment

Originally posted by markster65 View Post

I based it in the below wiring diagram. So this wont work? I just want position 1 bridge humbucker, position 2 split humbucker north coil and SC neck, position 3 SC neck only.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	hsr.png
Views:	332
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	6243209
              If we assign the following labels to the two sides of the switch:

Left side:
              A1
              A2
              A3
              AC

Right side:
              BC
              B1
              B2
              B3

Then you need to move A1 to AC, A2 to A1, and A3 to A2
              Likewise, you need to move B3 to BC, B2 to B3 and B1 to B2

...then it will work. That is assuming you have a U.S. CRL type switch. If you have an import, where the lugs are arrayed differently, then it may take a different translation.

Comment

with 500k pots, i like the ssl6 in the neck matched with buckers. a more vintage sounding single coil like the ssl1 wont be as good a match tonally or outputwise, even if you use the 470k so it sees 250k

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

If we assign the following labels to the two sides of the switch:

Left side:
                  A1
                  A2
                  A3
                  AC

Right side:
                  BC
                  B1
                  B2
                  B3

Then you need to move A1 to AC, A2 to A1, and A3 to A2
                  Likewise, you need to move B3 to BC, B2 to B3 and B1 to B2

...then it will work. That is assuming you have a U.S. CRL type switch. If you have an import, where the lugs are arrayed differently, then it may take a different translation.
                  Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    with 500k pots, i like the ssl6 in the neck matched with buckers. a more vintage sounding single coil like the ssl1 wont be as good a match tonally or outputwise, even if you use the 470k so it sees 250k
                    Do you think I should use a resistor on the ssl1 in the neck or just let it see 500k?
                    Thanks

Comment

i wouldnt like an ssl1 with 500k pots. i do like the ssl6 in the neck with 500k pots a lot

Comment

i wouldnt like an ssl1 with 500k pots. i do like the ssl6 in the neck with 500k pots a lot
                        I agree with this. An SSL1 is bright as it is.

Comment

Sorry Jeremy, I meant ssl6.

I'll just wire it without a resistor into the 500k pot with the JB Bridge humbucker.
                          Do you like these pickup choices or would you choose something different?
                          Last edited by markster65; 08-08-2023, 02:57 PM.

Comment

The SSL6 will hum, but that might not be a problem for you. I might go for some kind of non-hum version.

Comment

if you are worried about the hum as dave said, you could get the custom stack plus. similar in tone and output, a touch less bright/open on the top but still a very good pup. if you like the jb then go for the jb. some people love it, some people dont. i have the jb in the bridge of a tele and i think it sounds great

Comment

Working...
                              X