banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DiMarzio for jazz with the neck pup: PAF 59 or PAF 36th Anniversary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiMarzio for jazz with the neck pup: PAF 59 or PAF 36th Anniversary?

Hey people, how's it going? I have this question, which one of these two for the cleanest jazz sound possible? Have you guys/gals ever tried one of the two or the two?

Buying a Seymour right now is not an option, as it is too expensive here in Brazil, despite it being the same price in the USA as the DiMarzio.

Thanks in advance to those who answer!

I used to have a PAF 36th Anni, and it was a really nice pickup. It was smooth and fat like a neck pickup should be, yet not muddy or bloated. Very jazz-y.

No experience with the PAF '59, but if I guess the 36th Anni does get my seal of approval.

Comment

IME Duncans are clearer than DMZ. My 36th has the same tonal profile as like a Seth or A2P, but it's noticeably muddier; individual notes in chords aren't as clear and separate as when using the Duncans.

Comment

Thanks guys! Appreciate the feedback a lot!

Comment

Of the two, I prefer DiMarzio.

But for Jazz, I'd get an A2P
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
            IME Duncans are clearer than DMZ. My 36th has the same tonal profile as like a Seth or A2P, but it's noticeably muddier; individual notes in chords aren't as clear and separate as when using the Duncans.
            Depends on the setup, IMO.

Tonally, Duncans do tend to be brighter, broader with less lower mid focus than the usual equivalent DiMarzio... but I don't think that always translates to clarity. But we all hear things differently.

Comment

For jazz, I'd look really hard at an Air Norton. It's hotter than a PAF, but has a really cool dark neck tone.

I agree about everything else in the rig (and our own ears) mattering a lot. I had an Epi Les Paul with a Distortion set, was a total ice pick. Had an Epi V with the same pickups plus an EMG boost, and it was a sledgehammer.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Trainwreck coming up.......

Are you going for a neck pickup only?
                What is your bridge pickup?
                What guitar is this going into?

The following thoughts are the result of using the following equipment, which consists of a MXR Timmy running into either an Orange Crush 60 with a V30 or my Express with Mesa V30.

Are we talking about the DMZ 59 neck pickup?

Awhile back, tried an Epi LP with a set of DMZ 59's. These pickups are not anything like the SD 59's. First off, they are not potted and have a very open sound to me. They reminded me of the Gibson 57's that came in couple of my SG's. Or maybe think SD Full Shred pickup with low bass and mids. Very nice pickup.

DMZ 59 - Think lower bass, lower mids, and upper mids and highs shine....

The 36 vs the Air Norton.

I' ve got an old Firebrand SG [ original pickups long gone when I bought the guitar ] with a 36 Anniv in the neck and an Air Norton in the bridge.

Really like this combination. These pickups are sonically similar. The 36 Anniv has slightly pushed mids.
                Ive got 36 Anniv sets in a SG Standard and a LP Classic. In the SG, the 36's emphasis the upper mids while in the LP the lower mids are emphasized.

36 Anniversary - think smooth bass and highs with emphasized mids.

As for the Air Norton, I've got it adjusted, so it has a bit more output than the 36. As for the low - mid - high balance, it does not seem to push the mids as much as the 36 Anniv pickups.

The Air Zone, to me, has a smooth response from the bass to mids to treble.

So, I would consider the Air Zone if I didn't want emphasis on the mids and did not want a mids scoop [ V cut ] as in the SD 59.

And yes, I could see someone using this as a neck pickup.

Parting thought:

The SD Jazz bridge makes a nice neck pickup. Think smooth with full mids.

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
                And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

I have no idea about DMZ pickups but having an A2 or A3 magnet REALLY helps get what is traditionally considered a jazz tone.

Comment

I would think an Air Classic would be closer to the Jazz. I would go with a DP223 36th Anniversary or a Fortitude in the bridge.
                    Owner:
                    Slamo Custom Guitars
                    Doc Simons Miracle Guitar Polish

Comment

Jazz isn't played on the bridge pickup ya morons.
                      The things that you wanted
                      I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                      X