banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blower Switch help - a bit convoluted....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blower Switch help - a bit convoluted....

Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster!

I have an idea for implementing a blower switch in my tele which is a little bit off the wall, so I need the brains trust to steer me right.

A bit of background: I play single channel amps and use the volume pot for the whole clean-to-mean thing. Recently I installed a blower switch in HSS strat on a separate mini switch so that the bridge humbucker gets routed directly to the output ack regardless of the switch/vol/tone settings. This works great and got me thinking about adding one to my main guitar, but wondering if I could do it wihtout adding a separate mini switch...

My tele has a tele neck pup and a single-coil sized rail 'bucker in the bridge, single volume pot and a 3-way toggle switch. My thinking is I would like the controls to work normally, but if I then switch to another 'mode', then when the bridge pup is selected it would be direct to the output jack, whilst retaining normal operation in the neck and middle positions.

I'm thinking it could be done using a push/push on the volume pot to select the 'mode' and using a Dimarzio EP1111 for the 3-way. Here's what I've got so far:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Blower Switch.png
Views:	121
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	6243853

Could this work??

Cheers
    Moog
    Last edited by MoogOnBass; 08-11-2023, 07:28 AM.

To me it looks like only the blower goes to the output jack, and the blower won't work when you're on the neck position.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      To me it looks like only the blower goes to the output jack, and the blower won't work when you're on the neck position.
      Apologies - should have stated that the Volume pot will be connected to the output jack as per normal and the pickups grounded normally etc. Have updated the image.

Comment

FWIW It's not really a blower. Right now, to me it looks like what it will do is take the bridge off the volume control in the bridge position and put it back on the volume control in the middle and neck positions (depending on how that switch actually internally works). Is that what you intend it to do?

Comment

FWIW It's not really a blower. Right now, to me it looks like what it will do is take the bridge off the volume control in the bridge position and put it back on the volume control in the middle and neck positions (depending on how that switch actually internally works). Is that what you intend it to do?
          The idea is that in the first 'mode' (BH1) all positions connect to the volume pot. In the BH2 mode, Neck and Middle positions go to the Volume pot and the Bridge goes directly to the output jack, bypassing the volume.

My understanding is the switch works like this:

Name:	Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 15.21.33.png
Views:	95
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	6243864

Comment

You should take BH2 off the big switch and wire it directly to the output jack.

Comment

Seems needlessly complicated IMO. You don't need a fancy switch, just one side of a regular DPDT push-pull (EDIT: or push--push) volume pot.
              Bridge hot connected to center lug. Lower lug goes to the pickup switch; upper lug goes straight to the jack.
              Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 08-12-2023, 09:43 PM.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I think this is an interesting idea. But you need one slight mod to your diagram, or the bridge will be "on" in the neck position. Like this:

Name:	Blower_forum.png
Views:	104
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	6244084

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                  I think this is an interesting idea. But you need one slight mod to your diagram, or the bridge will be "on" in the neck position. Like this:

Name:	Blower_forum.png
Views:	104
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	6244084
                  Still not quite there. His goal was: " In the BH2 mode, Neck and Middle positions go to the Volume pot and the Bridge goes directly to the output jack, bypassing the volume."

Personally, this all could be achieved with a normal 3-way and a blower switch direct to the jack.

Comment

Still not quite there. His goal was: " In the BH2 mode, Neck and Middle positions go to the Volume pot and the Bridge goes directly to the output jack, bypassing the volume."
                    I interpreted it differently. He said:

Originally posted by MoogOnBass View Post
                    My thinking is I would like the controls to work normally, but if I then switch to another 'mode', then when the bridge pup is selected it would be direct to the output jack, whilst retaining normal operation in the neck and middle positions.
                    So, in the middle position, he still wants the bridge to go through the volume pot. Hopefully, he will clarify this.

Comment

Working...
                    X