banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On dummy coils / inductors / chokes as tonal filters changing the voicing of pickups…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On dummy coils / inductors / chokes as tonal filters changing the voicing of pickups…

I’ve been asked to develop this question. I’ll keep my contribution relatively laconic by lack of free time. thx for your understanding. :-)

SO, it’s possible to use some dummy coil(s) / inductor(s) / choke(s) in parallel with a pickup to change its response.

What does it do?

-It lowers the overall inductance and shifts up the resonant frequency of the pickup, making the sound brighter.

-it lowers the output level. This loss is more or less important, depending on the RESISTANCE of the inductive filter.

It’s a handy tool with powerful pickups but can be used with weaker ones too.

What can we use as parallel inductors?

I build my own filters myself but there’s “ready-made” solutions that I've used too when I wanted to work fast...

a)ghetto tech: just use an old HB without its baseplate and magnet(s) but still with its magnetic poles (since these iron cores increase the inductance of the coils)…

b)geeky tech: use the stronger coil of some mini audio transformer. They are sensitive to noise as a single coil would be but as their coils are very small, it’s not too noisy. It might produce just a wee bit of HF buzz… HINT - as they have a very low DCR, such transformers must be used in series with resistors or the output will be too low.

c)tinkerer option: find small cylindrical potted inductors and solder them in chain until you reach the desired inductance. Then add a series resistor of the desired value to this chain. The same thing can be done with Bill Lawrence Q filters, albeit it will be more expensive. :-P

How to adapt such filters to the pickups used?

-With a powerful pickup, try a filter of the same DCR and inductance. Example: a HB measuring 16k and 8H in parallel with a 500T will give a "composite" pickup measuring roughly 8k and 4H, just like a P.A.F. clone. The filter won’t lower the inner stray capacitance of the 500T but it will still make it behave sonically like a weaker humbucker…

-With weaker transducers, increase the inductance and resistance of the filter : 6H and 36k in parallel with a 7.5k and 3.5H pickup will give 6.2k and 2.2H of overall DCR and inductance, just as if the pickup had been “unwound”. The effect will be less drastic than explained above but still noticeable and useable if the components involved have the proper specs…

Below are two examples of pickups played in chords direct to the board, alone then in parallel with their dedicated inductive filters: a bridge 500T, a neck mini-humbucker. Should illustrate how "parallel inductive filters" change the balance between fundamental notes and harmonics, for more tonal versatility…

Click image for larger version

Name:	500TvsParallelInductiveFilter.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	6244221

Name:	MiniHumNchordsVsFilter.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	6244222

FOOTNOTES.

-A series inductor is way less interesting but it can work to some extent.

-If you want the opposite effect, just put a low value capacitor in parallel with the pickup (1nF in parallel to make a SSL1 closer to a SSL5, for example: it won't have the power but it will mimic the voicing of the stronger PU).

-Add some capacitor(s) between dummy coil(s) and ground, and you'll have a VariTone but also something able to emulate acoustic guitars or the 2d/4th positions of a Strat: all depends here on the resistive / inductive / capacitive specs involved.

-Some lab gear is (sadly) necessary if we want the use of dummy coils to be something else than a shot in the dark. An inductance meter is a must have, for instance (also because the theoretical inductance of mini audio transformers is often not their real measured value)....

FWIW. HTH. :-)

Duncan user since the 80's...

Free frog, thank you so much for some of this all up in one post. Extremely helpful for me because I have very little theoretical knowledge, so it really helps if I'm already in the ballpark.

Much appreciated!
    What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Very educational, good read thanks for posting!
      It's funny how some stories became historic,
      especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
      But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

Free frog, can you compare and contrast these induction shifts to taps? It's a major pain to wind, inconsistent and worse to wire, but an overwound, regular, and underwound tapped PAF style pretty much covers all of the tones PAFs are known for.

I know very little about inductance, and would have never thought about it at PAF levels. But would it be realistic to get similar timbers using the methods you describe?

To be clear, I've always thought of a veritone as something different... A way of getting a wide range of tones that you may or may not actually use in the real world.

But I never thought about tuning that into something similar to the tapped pup described above.

Thanks again for getting my brain spinning :-)

​​​​

Comment

Hi mate,

I've borrowed to Bill Lawrence the idea that putting an inductor in parallel with a pickup is similar to unwinding this pickup. I think it's a valid analogy and yes, it's comparable to coil tapping IMHO/IME...

[Parenthesis - The principle of the VariTone goes further by generating TWO resonant peaks : when a choke / inductor / dummy coil is connected to ground through a 22nF cap (IOW: through a regular tone cap), this inductor sounds like a pickup with the tone pot at 0/10... Put that in parallel with a normal pickup and you'll obtain a kind of drastic "dual resonance" response, with a peak in the low mids, another peak way higher in the spectrum and a scoop in between. It gives a very special tone, not comparable to the sound obtained with a simple parallel inductor. ]

To come back to "normal" pickups: until now, I've paired inductive filters with high or low power gibson style humbuckers, P90's, mini-hums, Filter'Tron's, Fender style single coils... It worked in every case.

And yes, it allows subtle changes like passing from the sound of a L Series Strat to a CBS one with underwound SC's, from Epi sounding mini-hums to Firebird style tones, from a beefy Filter'Tron to an underwound one...

The only relative issue is that it requires many experiments and adaptative strategies.... I think that I've never applied exactly the same filtering to two different guitars. I fine tune the result by comparing electrically induced resonant peaks and it most often leads me to use different components.

HTH.

Comment

Okay no "free lunch" but worth experimenting...
            And appreciate the clarification on the very tone... Thanks as always

Comment

Two other experiments with inductive filters in parallel of hot pickups. Pics show the response of bridge pickups played in chords from unfretted strings to 12th frets, direct to the board, through a 1 M input.

Pic 1 is the response of a X2N paired with a 6H / 16k humbucking dual coil filter. The filter was fun to build, with stacked coils separated of a few millimeters and tons of iron cores between them to increase the inductance. Not a fan of the gap in output level between X2N full up VS with the filter but it works: the filtered X2N sounds like a low DCR ceramic HB.

Pic 2 is the response a Custom 59 hybrid with another kind of filter, based this time on a mini coil + a resistor, for total measured values of 11H and 21k... This one works surprisingly well: the filter virtually "unwinds" the Hybrid, reducing it to 7.8k & 3.9H... and it sounds JUST like an underwound pickups with the same DCR + inductance! I'd do it again for myself...

Name:	X2N & filter.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	6273096

Name:	Cs59hybrid & filter.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	6273097

Comment

Cool info, as always. Thanks freefrog. I've been wanting to try one of those Lawrence Q-Filters. But, as you say, they are a bit pricey.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                  Cool info, as always. Thanks freefrog. I've been wanting to try one of those Lawrence Q-Filters. But, as you say, they are a bit pricey.
                  yeah, it's a bit pricey for an inductor (and maybe 1 or 2 other passive components).

And yes, freefrogs work is great, as always! Thank you

Comment

Working...
                  X