banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing direct-mount humbuckers with mounting rings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing direct-mount humbuckers with mounting rings?

Hey all - I have a set of humbuckers with fiberboard baseplates (with unthreaded holes for direct-mount). I want to put them in a guitar that uses pickup rings and springs. I have some nuts of the right size and threading to fit the mounting screws, so I was planning to glue the nuts to the underside of the fiberboard and install them like I would any other pickup.

Does this idea make sense, or is there a better way to go about it? I can foresee that some glue might get into the threads but I'm hoping that won't be a big problem. I'm not thrilled about permanently altering the pickups but I'm opposed to drilling into the guitar and can't think of another option.

Thanks!
    Take it to the limit
    Everybody to the limit
    Come on Fhqwhgads

Can you swap the baseplates for more appropriate ones? That would probably be my recommendation.

Comment

You can do it that way if you want. I'd suggest putting paste wax on the screw threads and put the screws into the nuts when you glue them to the baseplate. That way you won't get glue into the nut threads, or even if you do the screw will easily come out.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I have soldered small nuts to the metal mounting tabs. This is faster than gluing. Not sure if it is a stronger bond than glue.

Comment

They make plastic covers with the threaded nuts on the legs.

I usually cut off the threaded feet as i only want the covers

But you could push those pickups in and add aome wax to hold them

Look on Amazon for plastic pickup covers
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Cheers for the suggestions everyone, much appreciated. These are 7-string pickups so I'd have to order new baseplates if I wanted to swap them out for threaded metal. Nothing extra laying around. I suppose the advantage is that it would be reversible. Thanks GuitarDoc for the paste wax idea, that is most likely what I'll wind up doing.
            Take it to the limit
            Everybody to the limit
            Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
              I have soldered small nuts to the metal mounting tabs. This is faster than gluing. Not sure if it is a stronger bond than glue.
              If the plates were metal I'd definitely solder them on. I didn't even consider that the baseplates might be fiberboard when I bought them... probably wouldn't have, if I had known. My bad for not asking.
              Take it to the limit
              Everybody to the limit
              Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Originally posted by Seashore View Post

If the plates were metal I'd definitely solder them on. I didn't even consider that the baseplates might be fiberboard when I bought them... probably wouldn't have, if I had known. My bad for not asking.
                I was going to ask, what is fibreboard? Who makes pickups with a fibreboard base?

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

I was going to ask, what is fibreboard? Who makes pickups with a fibreboard base?
                  It's that vulcanized flatwork stuff. These are from Guitarmory.
                  Take it to the limit
                  Everybody to the limit
                  Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

gluing the nuts and using wax as doc suggested is what id do. fiberboard vs metal baseplate will change the sound, im guessing theres a reason the builder went this route

Comment

Well, nuts. Or I guess I should say, no nuts. I'm using Gorilla Glue and it won't bond to the fiberboard. I don't know if there would be enough surface area to make a really good bond in any case, but it's a moot point. These baseplates just resist the glue and it flakes right off.

I think at this point I can either contact the builder and see if they'll swap the baseplates for threaded fiberboard ones (which they do make, apparently), or look into a refund.
                      Take it to the limit
                      Everybody to the limit
                      Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Working...
                      X