No announcement yet.

Recommend me a Strat Set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I currently have the sb90's in my strat and used to have a set of 5-2's in another strat. I have never tapped the sb90's so I cant answer that. I love both but to me these pickups are polar opposites of each other. The 5-2's are very well balanced, as stated above and fairly bright. I find the sb90's to be thick and dark. The do quack well in the 4th position. Imo the 5-2's are more eric johnson while the sb90's are more blackmore.

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
      For iconic Strat tone - neither vintage-scooped nor hot-bluesy type - the Fralin Vintage Hots are the best I've got. Despite the name, they aren't overwound.
      For a more chimey late-60s tone, his Woodstock 69s are stellar in my book.

I agree the SSL-1 is a 'can't go wrong' sort of classic; have had one of those for more than forty years and it isn't going anywhere.

Except for vintage guitars that I wouldn't mod, in a Strat I prefer a little extra beef at the bridge.
      The Antiquity Surfer bridge does that quite well; a bit fuller and more singing but still recognizably pure Strat.
      Also have and like three others in that category: Zhangbucker's Paul Bunyan, D Allen's tapped Echoes bridge, and the Onamac Pinktone bridge.
      The Pinktone bridge is part of a set (a great set!) but I bet if you reached out Kerry would make you one by itself.
      Like the Fralin Vintage Hot set a lot. It came down to those or a set of Antiquities II Retrospecs when I was building a combo to go in my 94 Washburn USA Silverado. I was looking for a glassy true Strat tone but with a little extra punch in the bridge for that guitar. Wound up with the EJ set up in tone on the bridge and neck only a 300K volume and the Surfer II's. Absolutely no regrets and it's the best sounding Strat I have ever owned by far
      Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Hmm... $450 for a set of singles is quite a bit for the SDCS, but since most single coil sets cost $300 I guess it's not too bad. Any options on the cheaper side?
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

If you can find used. It doesn't seem like CS is 2x production though, I mean production is like $99-$120 per pickup and CS is like $130-$160 per pickup, so like $20-$30 more to have MJ wind exactly what you want.

Comment

I guess if you put it like that it doesn't seem like as much money. Does the CS do forum discounts? or is that something I'm misremembering?
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
              I guess if you put it like that it doesn't seem like as much money. Does the CS do forum discounts? or is that something I'm misremembering?
              They may have for special bulk orders in the past, but not now.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

They may have for special bulk orders in the past, but not now.
                That would be a cool story for a forum pup. A guy doesn't want to spend full custom shop prices on a pickup set designed for him, so he convinces 20+ other people to buy one too.

Comment

I'd be surprised if you could get 5 people on this forum to agree to something.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by '59 View Post
                      I was actually about to start a thread asking the same thing, so I'd appreciate to here you guys opinions.

I've heard a Stk S7n, S4m, and S6b is pretty popular on here, which is pretty similar to to the ssl1/ssl1/ssl5 set, except the neck is overwound a tad and there is no noise. This is what I'm looking to get, but I'd appreciate some more feedback before I seal the deal.
                      I would personally go STK-S4n, STK-S4m and STK-S7b.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                        Hmm... $450 for a set of singles is quite a bit for the SDCS, but since most single coil sets cost $300 I guess it's not too bad. Any options on the cheaper side?
                        In my MIM I have a set of Rose hand wound single-coils that I got for $90. A bit more vintage than SSL-1. Robusta neck and middle with a bit hotter Buff Beauty bridge for balancing with neck and middle. Very nice for the price.

Comment

Does anyone know about the 5-2 Tele bridge? I've always preferred a Tele sound to a Strat bridge sound. Also would it count as a shop floor custom to get a white Tele bridge?

Comment

Never tried the Five Two Tele, but the Five Two Strat is my favorite true singe coil Strat pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
                              I would personally go STK-S4n, STK-S4m and STK-S7b.
                              I think I will look into that. Of course now I have a Broadcaster bridge pickup that has been added to the mix

Comment

Originally posted by '59 View Post

I think I will look into that. Of course now I have a Broadcaster bridge pickup that has been added to the mix
                                The problem would be you would have 4 positions without noise and 1 position with noise. I think it would be best to put the Broadcaster in its own instrument or trade it for a pickup that you do want.

Comment

Working...
                                X