Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WLH or Sentient with Scourge

Good afternoon,

I have an ESP LTD 300 (LP copy) with a WLH Neck and Scourge in the bridge. I tune down to C and want to do more Sabbath and Sleep… not so much chugga metal. More blues style of playing.

I’m able to get a Sentient in a trade, and am wondering if it’s worth swapping out the WLH for the Sentient. What would the gains/losses be, etc. Thank you for any feedback

The Sentient has more highs and less bass than the WLH, so I don't think that will get you closer to sludgy doomy stuff. You might look at something based on an A2 magnet instead.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The WLH is one of the best bluesy neck hums in the entire line with its mid grit. I wouldn't advise changing it out. Especially not for a Sentient, which is synthetic sounding like the Jazz.

Comment

I appreciate your feedback! Thank you

Comment

For doom stuff I'd consider getting another Whole Lotta or a PG, A2 Pro for the bridge instead, I have no experience with the Scourge but assume that would be more for tight modern gain.
          Jackson Dominion Bourbon Burst-Duncan '59 bridge, Screamin' Demon neck
          Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)
          Dean Chicago Flame V Classic Black-Dimarzio Super Distortion neck & bridge
          Laney, Peavey, Marshall...

Comment

I've tried a fair few pickups for doom and settled on these from New Zealand - https://mrglynspickups.com/2023/06/26/draig-doom-set/
            They seem to have just the push to go into a fuzz without being too much and making it fizzy. And the neck pickup is great too!

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
              The WLH is one of the best bluesy neck hums in the entire line with its mid grit. I wouldn't advise changing it out. Especially not for a Sentient, which is synthetic sounding like the Jazz.
              A Sentient sounds absolutely nothing like a Jazz!! Agree that the WLH is a great woman toned blues rock bucker but overall I prefer the Sentient. I pulled a Jazz and replaced it with a Sentient because I found the Jazz weak and bland sounding. I don't find the Sentient to be bland at all but very dynamic clear and articulate in particular with high gain. Would take the WLH for classic rock and smokey blues but the Sentient for higher gain stuff and articulate chimy cleans.
              For downtuning to C the Sentient IMO would work much better to help cut through and stay articulate than a WLH. Love the WLH for smokey Blues in standard tuning as it KILLS that woman tone. However don't think it would work well down tuned to C as I think it's going to be to dark and loose.
              Last edited by Ascension; 10-11-2023, 05:52 PM.
              Guitars
              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Actually, I'd put the Sentient one notch under the Jazz, EQ-wise.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                X