banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How should I wire the tone control on my Strat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How should I wire the tone control on my Strat?

I've got a Strat copy that came with no tone control, but I'm going to add a 10 nF (0.01 uF) tone control for it so that I can get Woman Tones out of it. With my guitar being routed for a single knob, I'm stuck between two options. Either put the neck and middle on a single tone control but leave the bridge without one, or put all 3 on one tone control. This would be on a concentric pot.

I like the idea of having a master tone control because it would let me tame the bridge pickup, but on the other hand, I find being able to go from a rolled off neck tone to a bright bridge tone in the flick of a switch extremely useful.
    Master Tone (All 3 on one knob)
    75.00%
    Neck and Middle on one Knob
    25.00%

Also I'm debating putting a no-load pot in for the tone control, is it a big jump in brightness when you go into the no load position? I want to make a no-load pot myself so it doesn't have a detent, but I don't want a big jump in brightness at 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Driver Blues View Post
      is it a big jump in brightness when you go into the no load position?
      It is noticeable and can cause a slight "pop" when rolled off. How "big" it is will depend on other parameters : inductance of the pickups used + capacitance of the whole wiring & cable+ input impedance of the first "host" (setting altogether the frequency, amplitude and Q factor of resonant peaks) + tone stack of your amp (with or without bright cap) + its settings + spectrum of the loudspeaker(s) - whose peaks and dips will align or not with the resonant frequency of the pickups... not to mention the guitar of course: most of my Fender or Fender style guitars have a no load tone control and I often mount such things for other people. In some cases I had to add resistive loads to correct an excessive brightness (of the bridge PU, most of the time).

EDIT - There's graphs in the topic below. But they don't take in account the variables that I've evoked above and whose existence makes generalizations impossible.

Tone Pots - including 'No-Load' pots To go with the tone capacitor, the Tone Pot is the other component of a simple treble-cut tone control. The usual assumed know

A side note about concentric pots: they can tend to turn altogether IME because the upper knob presses on the low one. To take in account IMHO. YMMV.
      Last edited by freefrog; 09-14-2023, 11:02 PM.
      Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

I use 250k no load tone pots that I make myself. The jump between 10 and 9 isn't very drastic. If you use a higher value pot, it's even less perceptible.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

I've never found that jump very big at all. Small enough, in fact, that it wasn't worth it for me.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

If you know your tone position preference, why not use a toggle instead?

Comment

Count me in on not hearing a difference between "no-load" and tone on 10. Then again, I'm old.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucius Paisley View Post
                If you know your tone position preference, why not use a toggle instead?
                It don't have room to drill for another hole.

Comment

Of the two options you've listed, I think I'd go with the master tone control. If you need it, you have it then.
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

TBX. Done!
                    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I'm not sure you'll get Woman Tone with 0.010 uF in a Strat, but doesn't hurt to try it.

Comment

Tone control on a Strat bridge is not very useful to me, but I tend to use my tone knob either on 10 or less than 5. If you only have one knob, using the tone control to take a little brightness off the bridge pickup doesn't make too much sense if you use the other positions more than the bridge alone
                        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I like the TBX, and I also like a master tone. My 82 Strat came with a master tone (and the 2nd tone knob is actually a 2 position rotary switch!).
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                          X