Nashville tele mod with middle humbucker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nashville tele mod with middle humbucker

I like the idea of the Nashville mod - but I don't feel like changing round the magnets in my tele - so I thought of a workaround - Use a mini humbucker or a Lil screamin demon.
    When the bridge is connected with one reverse polarity - it will hum cancel, the other will hum cancel with the neck - and gloriously, the humbucker will shine by itself alone too.
    Anyone done anything like this? Sounds like a logical development of the mod.
    cb

Welcome to the forum!

I've done something like this with a Strat, where I used a stack in the neck, a single in the middle, and a humbucker in the bridge. The neck was rw/rp. All positions cancelled hum:

Bridge humbucker
    Half bridge humbucker with middle
    Half bridge humbucker with neck (sorta tele-ish)
    Middle with top coil of neck
    Both coils of neck stack
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Middle humbucker is a pretty underrated sound if you ask me, I've never done it on a Tele, but I think it would work nicely
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Welcome to the forum!

I've done something like this with a Strat, where I used a stack in the neck, a single in the middle, and a humbucker in the bridge. The neck was rw/rp. All positions cancelled hum:

Bridge humbucker
        Half bridge humbucker with middle
        Half bridge humbucker with neck (sorta tele-ish)
        Middle with top coil of neck
        Both coils of neck stack
        If you want to make the middle position more Tele like, you could experiment with putting a 10k trim pot in series with the red/white link to ground on the bridge humbucker so that you could fatten the bridge pickup up a little more.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

First of all Nashville teles rock! With a carved body, I like them even better than a strat because you got that great bridge pickup!

And yes it will work and your center pickup is crucial but it probably has a lot more impact than most imagine.

If you use a stronger pickup, you will get a more distinct middle tone, but I don't find the middle pickup incredibly interesting.

What I like to pitch are the two and four positions, specifically quack. And in my experience, if you want good quack, you want a relatively weak center pickup.

With that said, I often recommend the demarzio cruiser for the center when you need humbucking pup that is strat size. It's a good pickup on its own right, but it really loves to quack from the center.

And although they're not expensive to begin with, GFS makes a knock off that is superb and I use for most of my middle quacky pups.
          Last edited by zionstrat; 09-20-2023, 03:13 PM.
          What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post

If you want to make the middle position more Tele like, you could experiment with putting a 10k trim pot in series with the red/white link to ground on the bridge humbucker so that you could fatten the bridge pickup up a little more.
            I have to say, it sounds 90% Tele-like, which is good enough for me. I don't have a ton of use for that sound to worry too much about it.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The other option I was considering is 2 separate single coils in the middle - but that was only so I could still have the tele combination of bridge and neck.

Comment

Working...
              X