Steve Vai H-S-H set wiring questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Vai H-S-H set wiring questions

I don't believe Dimarzio sells this set anymore, but it is an Evolution neck and bridge, with a special reverse wound middle single. (At least I seem to remember that the pickup was reverse wound.)

The wiring of the guitar its currently in as intended, using an Ibanez super switch.

1- bridge series
    2- bridge split + middle (parallel, out of phase, idk)
    3- middle
    4- neck split + middle (parallel, out of phase?, idk)
    5- neck series

What I'm unsure about, is why is the middle pickup reverse wound? What is the purpose of that?

I can't tell if positions 2 and 4 are in phase or out of phase, parallel or series. Is there any way to tell? Does the rw middle single give any clue?

Also, does rotating the humbucker have any effect on the relationship with the middle? For instance, if the pickups are in phase, would rotating the humbucker put them out of phase?

Position 2 sounds maybe out of phase (kinda weak) but unknown if that is the case. Also, I want to put in a new volume because the taper of this one feels wrong.

Trying to figure out what I have, and why the middle is rw, and what this tells about how to wire it. The switching works, but as I said, position 2 may be out of phase. Would rotating the bridge humbucker change that?

I wired this 10+ years ago. I don't think there was a diagram for the ibanez super switch and these pickups. I modified the existing wiring and was just happy to get it working.

The middle pickup is a Dimarzio ISCV2. RWRP. FWIW. LOL.

Comment

It keeps the 2 and 4 position noiseless. Note, it is not strictly necessary to keep the middle RWRP if you wanted to split to the outer coils of the humbucker
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
        It keeps the 2 and 4 position noiseless. Note, it is not strictly necessary to keep the middle RWRP if you wanted to split to the outer coils of the humbucker
        Does that mean that spinning the adjacent humbucker would alternatively make it noisy and noiseless?

Comment

Nope, physical location doesn't matter. With RWRP if you combine the pickup with a slug coil it will be noiseless, and if you combine it with a screw coil it will have noise.
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

The pickups its paired with are double allen. So my understanding is noise cancelling only comes with one of the coils. Need to check and see. Think i get it now.

Comment

Yes, it will most likely be the inner coils. I totally forget Jems have hex screws.

Comment

Is it possible for the middle single to be out of phase with one of the humbucker coils? I had thought they would either be parallel or series, but had not considered if they could be out of phase.

Comment

the jem notch positions are parallel in phase. you could wire them to be out of phase, but i sure wouldnt want that

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    the jem notch positions are parallel in phase. you could wire them to be out of phase, but i sure wouldnt want that
                    Thanks, that is what I needed. I wired this 10+ years ago so I'm assuming I followed a JEM diagram.

Comment

Working...
                    X