No announcement yet.

Non"invasive" toggle switch options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would be wiring it the same as PRS where it just sends a small cap to ground, essentially the same as a tone control set to 10 with a 5 nF (0.005 uF) cap. I tried an old PRS Custom at a guitar store that had one and I quite liked it.

It's mentally not too complex at all.

Comment

Originally posted by BadAspen View Post
      I would be wiring it the same as PRS where it just sends a small cap to ground, essentially the same as a tone control set to 10 with a 5 nF (0.005 uF) cap. I tried an old PRS Custom at a guitar store that had one and I quite liked it.

It's mentally not too complex at all.
      The sweet switch in the old PRSi was not a cap; Paul used an unusual analog delay chip that isn't made anymore.
      But a small cap to ground works fine as a dark switch.

I still think a short bat toggle in the usual spot is the simplest option.
      Installs in a plain hole. Not in the way of your blade switch, but easy to flip when you want to.

If you're willing to attempt a more complicated install, I might go for the push-push mini button used in Tylers.
      Nearly invisible, black button or white. And you can put it wherever you want.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I don't know how the PRS sweet switch claims to work, but a passive signal delay isn't really a thing
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post

If you're willing to attempt a more complicated install, I might go for the push-push mini button used in Tylers.
          Nearly invisible, black button or white. And you can put it wherever you want.
          This would be cool for an Elite Strat type switching system.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
            I don't know how the PRS sweet switch claims to work, but a passive signal delay isn't really a thing
            This is the chip that was used for the original sweet switch, a 150 nanosecond passive delay:
            Passive Delay Line. Up for sale are Data Delay Devices delay lines P/N: 88013-312. This Buy It Now is for 1 delay line. D/C: 1216 MIL data sheet is available here:Data Sheet. All components are sold as-is and without warranty.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

This is the chip that was used for the original sweet switch, a 150 nanosecond passive delay:
              https://www.ebay.com/itm/201672228648
              It's that classic "one ten millionth of an Elvis" slapback delay.
              Take it to the limit
              Everybody to the limit
              Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Like you, I can't even begin to imagine how this could work. But I did find the manufacturer. Unfortunately, you have to email them to get a data sheet. I think I will tomorrow.

Comment

Hmm... according to the research I've done on it, a passive delay line is 2 inductors and 2 capacitors. That's all I've managed to find
                  You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

Like you, I can't even begin to imagine how this could work. But I did find the manufacturer. Unfortunately, you have to email them to get a data sheet. I think I will tomorrow.

https://www.datadelay.com/copy-of-frequency-multipliers
                    I checked on these some years ago. As I remember, the minimum order size at the time was 5 units.
                    If you decide to order I'd happily chip in for one, and I bet there are others who'd be interested.
                    Might be worth opening a thread about that, if and when.

The sweet switch is a pretty cool thing. It seems to react a bit differently to the various positions on the 5-way rotary.
                    Not sure if it might be the unusual design of the T&B humbuckers. Or just be my perception playing tricks.
                    But I suspect the interaction might be more complex than a plain cap-to-ground arrangement.
                    Then again, the cap to ground does more than simply bleed off treble...

Comment

Whats the cost on them?

Comment

I checked on these some years ago. As I remember, the minimum order size at the time was 5 units.
                        If you decide to order I'd happily chip in for one, and I bet there are others who'd be interested.
                        If I was a younger man, I'd be all over this. But I've got too many projects I have yet to finish.

I'm not writing it off completely, but let me (us) do more research on this. If I read the website properly, the max delay, passively, is about 5ns. I'm not exactly sure what I'd do with that.

Comment

It's not a linear delay, so I figure it would effect your tone

Comment

Whats the cost on them?
                            As I remember, they were about $12 each. But that was a few years ago.

Comment

Working...
                            X