5.8k Surfer???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post

It's less about the inner mechanisms of designing a pickup and more "Did this pickup likely leave the factory reading 5.8k or did some sort of damage cause it"

I decided to just cancel the order.
    I just spent my entire post outlining several ways that the measurement could change based on being perfect from the factory.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post

I just spent my entire post outlining several ways that the measurement could change based on being perfect from the factory.

You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I do not for the life of me understand how the seller got it to read 5.8k. Even setting it in my fridge wasn't enough to drop it to 5.8k. Maybe a fault with that specific multimeter.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

5.8k is very low for a 6.5k pickup to read. Any chance that there was a break and the pickup had to be unwound at some point in the past?
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

so what does it read on your meter?

Comment

Neck read 6.3k and room temperature and middle read 6.6k, they are both supposed to read 6.5k.

The lowest I got the neck to go in my fridge was 5.91k

Comment

sounds like a great set of pups! antiquity II strat pups are what i want my strat to sound like. i have a set of surfers in one guitar and a set of jaguar pups (without claw or anything) in another, which are basically flat pole strat pups. both sound fantastic, like a great early 60s fender strat. meatier than the late 60's strat pups, though i do like those at times as well

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                  I do not for the life of me understand how the seller got it to read 5.8k. Even setting it in my fridge wasn't enough to drop it to 5.8k. Maybe a fault with that specific multimeter.
                  He might have measured it installed and didn't get an accurate reading?

Comment

What's the point of noiseless single coils of these things are so darn quiet? I got my gain cranked and I can't hear hardly any noise at all.

Comment

i mostly agree. many of my guitars have single coils and i dont have an issue with noise 90% of the time. There are a few places that have bad wiring and big neon signs that do cause issues. but if youre a gigging guitarist, chances are you know to roll your volume down as soon as the song is over anyway so its not much of an issue. the rum boogie in memphis has one of the worst hum issues ive dealt with due to the big old stax sign behind the stage. it usually easier just to turn it off

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                        i mostly agree. many of my guitars have single coils and i dont have an issue with noise 90% of the time. There are a few places that have bad wiring and big neon signs that do cause issues. but if youre a gigging guitarist, chances are you know to roll your volume down as soon as the song is over anyway so its not much of an issue. the rum boogie in memphis has one of the worst hum issues ive dealt with due to the big old stax sign behind the stage. it usually easier just to turn it off
                        Haha! I had to do that at a place years ago when I slapped Texas Specials in my Frankenstrat. The guitar sounded awesome and was relatively quiet until I got around the neon signs. One above the stage but on my side. The bar manager let me turn it off. My Squier Classic Vibe still has the stock pickups but I don't use a lot of gain with that one anyway. No issue with the noise. And the P-90's, those are always true and not noiseless.

Comment

I've never been one for long winded pickup reviews (at least not in the past 5 or so years) but I will say these are the best strat pickups I've played as far back as my memory goes.

Let me compare it like this. It's kinda like when Ben Burtt at first was disappointed that he didn't get a lot of compliments for high lightsaber and blaster noises on Star Wars, but then later realized it was because everyone just automatically assumed that's what blasters and laser swords actually sounded like. These pickups sound exactly like what all the Strats in my head sound like.

Comment

Surfers are fantastic. Especially in a resonant ash or alder body. Some of the best Strat pickups I've ever used.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

yep, huge fan of the surfers. they do what i want a strat pup to do.

Comment

The bridge is phenomenal, especially I'm the neck/bridge Tele position

Comment

Working...
                                X