Sharp volume drop off with new potentiometers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharp volume drop off with new potentiometers

So I just decided to rewire my LP with some CTS 525K pots, hoping for more clarity. The installation went easily enough but why do my volume knobs only seem to work from 8-10? Anything below 8 has a sharp drop in volume to where it is essentially unusable... I used .22 caps wired 50's style

Its the difference between audio/log taper pots(A) and linear taper pots(B). I prefer linear taper B pots for volume.

There are other kinds of tapers. What you are describing sounds like audio/logarithmic taper volume control.

Comment

So you’re saying I should grab a couple of liners taper pots and wire those in then?

Comment

Ok. Just ordered 2 linear taper pots.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
          So I just decided to rewire my LP with some CTS 525K pots, hoping for more clarity. The installation went easily enough but why do my volume knobs only seem to work from 8-10? Anything below 8 has a sharp drop in volume to where it is essentially unusable... I used .22 caps wired 50's style

could you please give the exact code stamped on the pot?

Comment

Just for reference, for anyone who needs it, CTS codes work like this:

Comment

Yep, I prefer linear for volume. Linear is linear, audio turns down quicker. Audio can be useful for volume for show levels or if you use the distortion box all the time and it cleans up quicker. It's also good for tones if you want it to darken quicker. Basically you have to decide what works best for you for both volume and tone.
              Last edited by Clint 55; 09-26-2023, 10:58 AM.
              The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

Comment

I used .22 caps wired 50's style
                Is that a typo? Did you mean .022uf?

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

Is that a typo? Did you mean .022uf?
                  Ha! Yes….sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by marcello252 View Post

could you please give the exact code stamped on the pot?
                    Here is the pic from the Amazon listing.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                      Yep, I prefer linear for volume. Linear is linear, audio turns down quicker. Audio can be useful for volume for show levels or if you use the distortion box all the time and it cleans up quicker. It's also good for tones if you want it to darken quicker. Basically you have to decide what works best for you for both volume and tone.
                      I’m going to install the linear when they arrive and I’m suspecting that I will like their behavior better.
                      I must have misunderstood a short article I read before I ordered. I thought that it said linear doesn’t exactly roll off in a “linear” way but clearly I misunderstood

Comment

I must have misunderstood a short article I read before I ordered. I thought that it said linear doesn’t exactly roll off in a “linear” way.
                        I've come across that. They try to trick you with that notion.
                        The things that you wanted
                        I bought them for you

Comment

Linear rolls off volume in a linear manner but your ears do not perceive volume in a linear manner. It's like how two speakers is not twice as loud even though it is twice the energy.
                          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Also worth looking into vintage taper (30% volume at 5) if you feel like tinkering, it is halfway between audio (10%) and linear (50%)
                            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

ive been using those vintage taper cts pots from mojotone and i really like em

Comment

Working...
                              X