Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this wiring diagram look right?

Hi all.

It's ben a while since I've posted anything but, I have a wiring job that I need help with. I have a super bright strat where a 78/SSL1/SSL1 combo is just not playing nice with. For that reason I'm going to go with a Custom Custom/Area 58/Area 58 configuration. Additionally I'm going to add a DPDT switch to replace tone 1. The tone will not be connected to the humbucker in position one(typically where there'd be a series humbucker) and the DPDT will be series/parallel for the bridge humbucker. From the DPDT there will be an auto split in position two for both the bridge humbucker and the middle position Area 58. Splitting the Area 58 means that I'll be hum free in all positions. I asked Dimarzio support for a wiring diagram for the Areas in an HSS configuration. The provided the first diagram - with the bridge humbucker Dimarzio color coded.

Using the Dimarzio wiring diagram I want to.
    a. Add the DPDT switch to toggle series/parallel wiring in position 1
    b. Add an auto split from the DPDT switch so in position two only one could of the humbucker is active
    c. Auto split the middle Area for hum free performance in position 2
    d. Have the tone control active in positions 2,3,4 and 5
    - this is to pamper the singles more than anything
    - no loading on the bridge in position 1

Otherwise, positions 3,4 and 5 are all to be as the Dimarzio diagram shows.

I think my wiring diagram should work (note that the coils are reversed on the humbucker for hum cancelation in position 2).

Is this right or am I off?

Thanks!!!

Not sure what the Yellow is from the bridge wires. Is that the white wire?

By jumpering the middle pickup series link to the middle lug of the DPDT, I believe that makes one coil of the middle pickup always on every time the bridge is on. Or at least the coil hangs off the series link of the bridge like an antenna. Maybe it will work, or it might introduce noise.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      Not sure what the Yellow is from the bridge wires. Is that the white wire?

By jumpering the middle pickup series link to the middle lug of the DPDT, I believe that makes one coil of the middle pickup always on every time the bridge is on. Or at least the coil hangs off the series link of the bridge like an antenna. Maybe it will work, or it might introduce noise.
      Thanks for the reply. I've updated my diagram to knock out the single tone pot and added a push pull pot in position 2. That way I can have the accessible bank on the super switch so the series link of the bridge and middle are only applicable when in position 2. Does this seem right now?

* I updated the diagram to include a legend for the wires. White is hard on a white background

Thanks again!

Comment

Neck pickup tone looks like it's connected to the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
          Neck pickup tone looks like it's connected to the bridge.
          You're right, my mistake, I've updated again to address that.

Is the third try a winner?

Comment

Looks like it might work. FYI Your middle pickup tone cap is drawn going from ground to ground on the back of the pot, instead of from the lug to the back of the pot.

Comment

Working...
            X