banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Humbucker sized single coil with a rail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humbucker sized single coil with a rail?

I’m trying to find a specific kind of pickup for a project. A humbucker sized single coil that uses a blade instead of individual poles. I found a Lollar Charlie Christian model. (pic below) It reads like 2.9K which seems really low. Not sure what’s up with that. It’s also kind of expensive which is a bummer.

Anyone know of any other pickups like this?

Are you picking the pickup for looks or sound? I know the Custom Shop could build something like that which would sound any way you wanted it to.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      Are you picking the pickup for looks or sound? I know the Custom Shop could build something like that which would sound any way you wanted it to.
      Eh, both I guess. I know a custom pickup would do it but I wasn't exactly prepared to pay custom shop prices.

I found what looks like a knockoff on ebay. Same specs and everything but way cheaper. Do you know what's up with that 3K resistance? Is that some kind of special winding?

Comment

Charlie Christian use a MUCH thicker wire (AWG38 originally), so the lower DCR can not be compared to the typical AWG42

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
          Charlie Christian use a MUCH thicker wire (AWG38 originally), so the lower DCR can not be compared to the typical AWG42
          Thank you. So what kind of output do you get from such a pickup? Is it on par with a Strat pickup? Louder? Quieter? Any guesses?

Comment

i don't know but the lollar page has a descrition for it:
            Compared to other large single-coils, our Charlie Christian pickups sound warmer, with wider dynamic range and more touch sensitivity. They have very little compression and a flat EQ response
            It says 3,3 output where the strat vintage blonde pickups say 2,5, so more output than you're typical strat.

Edit: quick search did find a Roswell Charlie Christian pickups! Dual and single blade available. the dual blade looks better to me and can be easily split
            Last edited by ToneFiddler; 09-29-2023, 06:02 AM.

Comment

If you do get it wired up, I'd love to hear how it sounds. I've never tried a pickup like that.

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
                i don't know but the lollar page has a descrition for it:

It says 3,3 output where the strat vintage blonde pickups say 2,5, so more output than you're typical strat.

Edit: quick search did find a Roswell Charlie Christian pickups! Dual and single blade available. the dual blade looks better to me and can be easily split
                Thanks for the assistance. I found a listing on EBay for these for about 70 dollars so I bought it. I’ve had good experience with Roswell pickups.

In doing more searching I found a thread about the Lollars on the Tele forum. Someone said they were louder than 7K humbuckers in another guitar, so the thicker wire must make them louder even though the resistance is low.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  If you do get it wired up, I'd love to hear how it sounds. I've never tried a pickup like that.
                  Believe it or not, this is actually for a project bass guitar lol. I wanted the blade construction to compensate for string spacing. But I can still let you know how it sounds if you want.

Comment

Peavey Super Ferrittes are sweet. I have them in a couple guitars.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Peavey_Super_Ferrittes.png
Views:	183
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	6250871

Comment

ngl that's a cool idea
                      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Cpuldnt you just install a dual blade pickup and split it?

Comment

Originally posted by Supernautilus View Post

Believe it or not, this is actually for a project bass guitar lol. I wanted the blade construction to compensate for string spacing. But I can still let you know how it sounds if you want.
                          Well, even better. I like the idea of unconventional pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
                            Cpuldnt you just install a dual blade pickup and split it?
                            I could. But honestly there are drawbacks to splitting coils and didn’t want that for this particular project.

Comment

Working...
                            X