banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seymour Duncan Antiquity P90 Soapbar Pickup Set - Cream. Bridge pup Height Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan Antiquity P90 Soapbar Pickup Set - Cream. Bridge pup Height Problem

Bridge pup Height Problem>>> (New Member) did not realise when buying these pups that they were a lot slimmer than my original Gibson P90s, the neck pup is ok for height adjustment but the bridge pup is sticking out of the cavity and is still too low is there a fix for this or will I have to fit something else in the bridge position. I have seen some posts of the same problem but never seen a solution for this problem thetas if one exists? thanks in advance guys.

You are aware that you have a copy of a mid 50ies pickup? With the steeper neck angled the ABR has come up on more modern Les Pauls. Gibson corrected that with some wooden shims in their pickups in 60ies.
    I know it because i have a original '52 and a '65 P90.
    I guess you have to chalk it up as part of having
    Antiquity pickups in your guitar.
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

I'd just use some shims or foam or something under the bridge pickup to raise it.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

You have to shim it. The other option is leave it and use a boost. Original 50s Les Pauls were similar. The bridge pickup was a bit low.

Comment

figure out how tall a shim you need and put it under the pup. gibson does things gibsons way and we have to adapt

Comment

Thanks, guys, for the info and advice will look into the shims maybe but my main concern was the fact the pup is sticking out of the cavity even more than in the pics when shimmed up not a look I'm too happy about. wonder if there is a pup ring that would hide the gap, might be I will have to put another P90 in its place. think I will try the shims first and see if I like what I hear then think about what I want to do. thanks again for your help much appreciated

Comment

Is it that black stripe next to the bridge you are complaining about? Just buy new covers.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

do the old gibson covers fit the new pups?

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                  Is it that black stripe next to the bridge you are complaining about? Just buy new covers.
                  Hi thanks for the reply but because of the antiquity's construction normal P90 covers will not fit please see pics

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    do the old gibson covers fit the new pups?
                    Hi thanks for your reply and interest in my questions but but because of the antiquity's construction normal P90 covers will not fit please see pics so I think I will just have to put up with the gap

Comment

No, you have to shim inside the pickup and than use a standard P90 cover as Gibson did in the 60ies, when they came up with the higher set bridge.
                      But maybe it's easier to get some modern constructed pickup with a 50ies wind, like a Lollar 50ies wind.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by hamerfan; 10-02-2023, 02:16 AM.
                      I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

BTW sirs, please, for a standard P90 what distance from the polepieces to the underside of the string do you suggest to start with (last fret pressed)? is it preferable ahving the polepieces flat with pickup up rised up or is it better having the pickup low and the polepieces raised up?

Comment

I'd start with the poles flat and about 1/8" below the strings. If it sounds too loud or too fat, lower the pup until it has the sound you like. Then raise the poles to balance the perceived output at each string. Also, by lowering the pup and raising the poles you can get a thinner, brighter sound
                          Originally Posted by IanBallard
                          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
                            No, you have to shim inside the pickup and than use a standard P90 cover as Gibson did in the 60ies, when they came up with the higher set bridge.
                            But maybe it's easier to get some modern constructed pickup with a 50ies wind, like a Lollar 50ies wind.
                            Hi and thanks for the tip I will have a look and see if I can do that with pup

Comment

Working...
                            X