Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on pickup choice

Hi
    I have a non USA Jackson Adrian Smith and want to update it myself as a project. So I play mainly 80’s heavy rock and and a novice at tinkering with pickup ect. I want to install an original Floyd rose change nut and pickup. So I know that the USA version has a damazio super distortion in the bridge and fender noiseless colbolts in the single pole mid and neck position. Now I don’t know if as a novice I should stick with one brand or mix. I could fit a Super distortion or a Duncan JB but it’s the singles I’m struggling with.
    I play les Paul’s mainly and like the neck humbucker fat warm and lots of sustain so maybe go for a stacked humbucker? Middle no idea at all. Should I go with a single noiseless Strat type for variation or stick with stacked humbucker? Really confused and don’t know what will compliment what do any help, advise or guidance welcomed

Welcome to the forum!

First, decide on if noiseless is important to you5. When I play an HSS, it bothers me that noise comes whenever I switch to the single coils, but for some people, it isn't an issue. Then decide if you want them to sound like single coils or like humbuckers. Something like a Classic Strat Stack is great at sounding like an awesome single coil without the noise, but a Cool Rails sounds like a clean, clear humbucker. So get an idea of what you are searching for in this guitar- that's a great place to start.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by brucewright View Post
      should stick with one brand or mix.
      There are benefits to both depending on the desired effect. Brands will sell pickups in sets, the pickups will be designed to complement each other tonally. This does not mean mixing brands will not give a great result. One of my best-sounding guitars has a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails in the bridge and a TV Jones Classic Plus Bridge in the neck. There are no hard and fast rules. Just hang around here for a while I am sure you will get plenty of advice and good suggestions.

Comment

Working...
      X