A Custom Hot Stack Plus in the neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Custom Hot Stack Plus in the neck?

I believe Duncan makes a Custom Hot Stack Plus, which is modeled after the SSl-5. I've tried the SSL-5 in the bridge and it's great. I've also put it in the neck but it sounded not so good. Too thick and boomy.

But right now I have one Strat with the Classic Hot Stack Plus in the neck, and my other Strat with the Vintage Hot Stack Plus in the neck. I like them both.

But just wondering if I should try the Custom Hot Stack Plus in the neck of one of my guitars. Just to get a little more beef, but concerned about the bass being too bassy and boomy.

You could always lower it quite a bit, especially the bass side. I don't think it is something I'd like in the neck, but if you like thicker, darker sounds, that even out any dynamics, I can see it working.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Lower the bass side down and use 500k pots and you should be OK. I've seen it matched with a hot humbucker and it does fine.

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

I don't think you can rid of the muddyness from a pickup like that in neck position. HAve you ever tried a quarter pound? it's an intersting pickup, it could be in your ballpark without being boomy

Comment

there is a custom stack plus, which i assume is what you are talking about and is similar to the ssl5. i like it in the neck with 500k pots and matched up with a hotter bridge pup, like a humbucker. with 250k pots, it sounds dull and dark to me.

Comment

Changing pots would be a mistake. Because I do like to experiment with pickups, if I decide to pull the Custom Hot Stack Plus out, now I've got to change pots back to where they were. No, I'm not going to try this pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              there is a custom stack plus, which i assume is what you are talking about and is similar to the ssl5. i like it in the neck with 500k pots and matched up with a hotter bridge pup, like a humbucker. with 250k pots, it sounds dull and dark to me.
              This.

I have experience with Stacks in the neck position, but since I use humbuckers in the bridge position, the Classic Stack never balanced out both in volume and EQ. For more vintage tones ( although beefier and ever-so-slightly darker than the Classic Stack) the Vintage Stack does wonders for me, and for a bit more of everything so does the Custom Stack.

YMMV, of course.
              Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

See, I've always loved the way a Classic Stack balances with my humbuckers, but usually I was using it with a Hybrid, and nothing hotter.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  See, I've always loved the way a Classic Stack balances with my humbuckers, but usually I was using it with a Hybrid, and nothing hotter.
                  So far, I've done (1) CS+ with Hot Rails Bridge, (2) CS+ with '59/ Custom Hydrid bridge, (3) Vintage Hot Stacks with '59/ Custom Hydrid bridge, (4) CS+ with TB-4, (5) CS+ with Full Shred bridge, (6) Custom Stacks with Full Shred Bridge, (7) Custom Stacks with Hot Rails bridge.

To my ears and needs, (3) and (6) are perfectly matched sets.
                  Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Working...
                  X