Humbucker recommendations.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humbucker recommendations.

I just acquired a 2009 Fender American Special Stratocaster about a week ago. It's loaded with Texas Special pickups. I've always wanted a Strat with the HSS setup. I've got a Screamin' Demon sitting in a drawer that I was going to install but after reading the description of the Screamin' Demon is states that it has a scooped sound. With the Strat having a scooped sound, more or less, I'm wondering if the Screamin' Demon would be too much. I realize I can adjust this with eq tweaks, etc. What humbucker/s would you recommend? I'm not looking for a high output pickup that excessively overpowers the single coils. I'm looking for a reasonable balance. Low to medium output. I play rock, classic rock, blues and a little bit of heavy metal. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Scooped for a humbucker is not the same as scooped for a single coil - all humbuckers are middier and have less extension up into the high end. I bet the Demon would balance reasonably well with your singles.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Do you want the hum to fit in tone wise with the strat and single coils, or do you want it to do something different? The Pearly Gates is the traditional hum for HSS for a stratty sound. If you wanted it more rock, I agree the Demon would work well.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

I was gonna suggest the PG. That's what is in my HSS with Texas Specials. Not too scooped at all.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
          Do you want the hum to fit in tone wise with the strat and single coils, or do you want it to do something different? The Pearly Gates is the traditional hum for HSS for a stratty sound. If you wanted it more rock, I agree the Demon would work well.
          If it’s possible, a little bit of both. I’ll check out the Pearly Gates, though. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            I was gonna suggest the PG. That's what is in my HSS with Texas Specials. Not too scooped at all.
            I guess I’ll have to look for some sound samples. Thanks.

Comment

I think the Screamin' Demon would be a good choice. I used them in the neck position and they both sounded great. Never noticed a scooped sound. The Alnico II Pro is good. So is the Custom 5 or the Custom Custom. All good choices.

Comment

I'm a fan of Distortion, Custom 5 or Custom Custom in Strats. But the Demon was originally designed to work in a Strat type guitar, so there's that.

Comment

I listened to several samples of the Pearly Gates with Texas Specials and I really like what I heard. I'm going to try the Screamin' Demon but I'm pretty convinced that I'm going to end up installing a Pearly Gate.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                    I'm a fan of Distortion, Custom 5 or Custom Custom in Strats. But the Demon was originally designed to work in a Strat type guitar, so there's that.
                    This is true.

Comment

Assuming we're talking about full size hbs, PG is an excellent match.. But don't forget the JB... It splits extremely well in position two and as an HB it's definitely punchier than a PG but, tends to be a good balance in an HSS

There are times where the mids in the JB can be too much, but I don't find that often in strats.
                      What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Yes, we're talking about full size humbuckers. I'll look into the JB as well as the other suggestions.

Comment

I would pick one that is hot enough to split well and works with 250k controls. Ive heard the jb fits the bill. But the demon also fits.

Comment

I say, try the Demon. Lots of people absolutely love them in Strats, and you won't have to buy anything if you like it. Remember, SD pickups are out of phase with Fender's, so you'd have to have green to hot and black to ground to remain in phase.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

JB and strats, however, is always a good match, and they work better with 250K pots than other HBs

Comment

Working...
                              X