Wiring help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring help

It's been a long time since I've been on here, but I need some help with wiring. I have a P-Rails in a box and enough parts to throw together a 1 pickup Strat. The simple answer would be to do a 3 way switch and be done with it, but that would be too easy. The plan is to throw in a super switch with this layout.

5 Parallel bypass tone with set cap (kind of like an esquire)
    4 Parallel
    3 Blade (500k resistor in line to "see" 250k)
    2 P-90
    1 Humbucker

I've sat here for about an hour looking at it and I think I'm right on positions 1-4 but I have no idea what do do for 5. But then again it could be completely wrong. Any help would be appreciated.
    sigpic
    Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
    Dunlop Crybaby
    MXR Custom Comp
    GFS Twin Overdrive
    Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
    Blackstar HT-DISTX
    Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

I think you need a jumper between red+white on 2 and 3. I think you are out of lugs on the switch to bypass the tone control on 5. The switch isn't controlling the tone now, and all 4 sections of the switch are used up on coil ends.

Comment

You only need two quadrants to do every mode of a humbucker. (Or P-Rail.) That leaves the other two for tone switching and adding the resistor.

I did this quik-'n-dirty, so hopefully it makes sense. I'm not sure I understood your position #5 correctly. Let me know if this makes sense.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P-Rail-02.png
Views:	94
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	6252105

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
        You only need two quadrants to do every mode of a humbucker. (Or P-Rail.) That leaves the other two for tone switching and adding the resistor.

I did this quik-'n-dirty, so hopefully it makes sense. I'm not sure I understood your position #5 correctly. Let me know if this makes sense.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P-Rail-02.png
Views:	94
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	6252105
        Every time I have wiring questions you always seem to come through. Thanks man.
        This looks like for the most part it will work for what I wanted. It was hard for me to wrap my head around.

As far as position 5 goes it should be in parallel, so shouldn't there be a jumper between lugs 4 and 5?
        Other than that the thing I wanted to do with that position was to bypass the tone control and use a separate cap to a preset value instead of using the tone control when I switch to that position as a pseudo "neck" position sound by rolling off the high end. From your diagram it looks like its bypassing the tone but I don't see a way with that setup to add a cap in.

I edited your diagram to what I think will work for what I want, but I might be missing something. I put a jumper from lugs 4 and 5 on the bottom right bank. Ran the wire from the top lug of the volume pot to the common on the top right bank. then positions 1-4 go into the tone pot. Position 5 goes strait into a cap to ground.
        Attached Files
        sigpic
        Dunlop Crybaby
        MXR Custom Comp
        GFS Twin Overdrive
        Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
        Blackstar HT-DISTX

Comment

Yup. Good catch. (On the 4-5 jumper.) I think your cap scheme is good too. Just heading out to a Dr's appointment, but I'll double check it when I get back. But it looks ok.

Comment

If I could make a slight recommendation, right now you have the switch modes in a configuration that doesn't make too much sense to me. It may make sense to you, in which case feel free to ignore me, but I think it would make most sense to put the switch like this:

1 - Humbucker
            2- P90
            3- Parallel (esquire mod)
            4- Parallel
            5- Rail

This way as you go from one side of the switch to the other it progressively gets hotter.

Another suggestion, put a small trimpot in series with the cap to tune how dark you want to 5 position to sound. I found the 3.3k to 6.8k range works well.
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
              If I could make a slight recommendation, right now you have the switch modes in a configuration that doesn't make too much sense to me. It may make sense to you, in which case feel free to ignore me, but I think it would make most sense to put the switch like this:

1 - Humbucker
              2- P90
              3- Parallel (esquire mod)
              4- Parallel
              5- Rail

This way as you go from one side of the switch to the other it progressively gets hotter.

Another suggestion, put a small trimpot in series with the cap to tune how dark you want to 5 position to sound. I found the 3.3k to 6.8k range works well.
              The trimpot is a good call I didn't think of. As far as the positions go I put it in order of the positions I would use on a "regular" 5 way. I use position 3 the least and single coil bridge tones are usually my least favorite, but I still want the option. Position 4 I like to use for parallel on one of my other guitars (a firebird pickup in parallel sounds awesome), And position 5 is usually what ii use for cleans. I typically am not a fan of clean bridge tones.

TLDR the positions are more based on muscle memory rather than any real reason.
              sigpic
              Dunlop Crybaby
              MXR Custom Comp
              GFS Twin Overdrive
              Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
              Blackstar HT-DISTX

Comment

Working...
              X