Partscaster Resistor & Cap Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partscaster Resistor & Cap Questions

Hello I have a Partscaster with a Squier Strat body and a Jackson Style Maple Neck & fretboard 22 fret with .009 - .042 nickel wounds strings and a bridge Seymour Duncan TB-4 JB Trembucker wired to an Alpha push/pull volume pot, 500K I'm pretty sure. Haven't been playing it because it's really bright and ice picky and I think the pot is bad because the sound cuts in and out when rolling the volume knob up or down whether it's pushed in or pulled out. I bought a Mojo Tone CTS Push-pull Potentiometer - Short Shaft - 250k online @ Sweetwater a while back and I need to have it installed. I don't think there is anything wrong with the wiring but then again, I'm no guitar tech. Someone was saying on a 250k pot for the JB to add a 333k resistor from the hot lead to ground. What does this do sound-wise? Also any suggestions for capacitors what would work good with the guitar?
    Charvel Model-5fx EMG 85/SA
    Epiphone Les Paul Custom Korean SD JB/Jazz
    Custom Made Ernie Ball Musicman Copy Dimarzio Super Distortion's
    2019 EVH 5150 III 50 Watt Head 6L6
    1995 Mesa Boogie Tremoverb converted to Head
    Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 cab (factory Vintage 30's) converted to closed back
    Marshall 1960A 4x12 (2 Celestion G12T-75's and 2 WGS Retro 30's X patterned
    Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

If you have a 250k pot, I wouldn't add the resistor. (At least, not 'til you hear it.) You might want to add the 333k resistor to a 500k pot. But then again, after you hear it. Adding the resistor is dirt simple.

The 250k, with 333k, in parallel, will give you about a 147k load. That will stifle a bunch of treble.
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 10-07-2023, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Yeah, just install the 250k pot..the wiring is the same as what you have now.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

What Artie said regarding the 333k resistor.

For tone caps, not yet evoked in the answers above: they make a difference but not necessarly significant (nor even perceptible in some situations) as long as the pot won't be set @ 3/10 or less.
        Choose their value according to the effect desired when the pot is totally rolled off: 100nF= vintage Strats values = super dark tones @ 0/10. 22nF or less = the most used, way less darkness. 47nF and 33nF are other values often mounted and sonically in between. Lowering to 10nF or less will bring in a cocked wah tone with tone pot rolled off. A winder that I know recommends as low as 3.3nF for a tone pot keeping the hi-mids intact and trimming only the high range.

BTW, a very low value capacitor from hot to ground might be another way than resistance to solve the problem evoked here.

By connecting desired value capacitor in parallel or from hot connection to ground will reduce the amount of treble in a pickup. By connecting a desired value capacitor in series with the hot connection can reduce the bottom end in a pickup and make a pickup sound thinner.

Or just "tune" the capacitive load of the whole guitar wiring / cable from guitar to amp in order to decouple / disalign insistant frequencies from the JB and those promoted by the cab(s) used...

Useful explanations here (ignore the advertising, what counts is the technical info):

Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          Yeah, just install the 250k pot..the wiring is the same as what you have now.
          this

Comment

IME in most cases the JB loves a 250K volume. There are exceptions but for me they've been quite rare.
            If it's too bright with your present 500K, I think you'll probably like it much better with the 250K.
            And if that's still icepicky, you can add a small cap to ground as mentioned above.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Bright and ice picky
              is too close to the strings
              Lower it to 1/8 inch or 3mm below the strings
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Who is this foo of foos who told you that a 250k pot needs a resistor added by default? 250k is already the lower of the traditional values. 500k is high, 1 meg is mega high. If you add resistors to a 250k pot you get into mega low values. That's stuff that almost nobody uses. I only use stuff below 250k for jazz neck applications. You theoretically could do that, but it would be if you wanted it really warm.

Just replace the 500k pot with the 250k pot only.
                The things that you wanted
                I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                X