RG8870 Wiring Diagram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RG8870 Wiring Diagram

The RG8870 is one of the current flagship models.

I modified the standard Ibanez/VLX91 HSH wiring to include a split on push/pull pot.

Afaict, all I have to do is include another path to ground for the coil split leads. So the humbuckers are split on positions 2 and 4, but also when the pot is pulled. With the pot pulled it should be like a strat.

Can someone verify if this should work?

Click image for larger version

Name:	RG8870 Wiring.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	6252198

That's tough to follow, but I think it's good. The push-pull split is good. I'm not sure how that Ibby 5-way works.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
      That's tough to follow, but I think it's good. The push-pull split is good. I'm not sure how that Ibby 5-way works.
      THe ibby switch is pretty simple actually. Each row is its own switch. Opposing sides switch in the opposite direction.

Name:	OTAX.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	6252280

Comment

Nice diagram. Thanks. I've saved it to my archives.

Comment

The stock ibanez wires are different color than dimarzio.

Is there any way to tell which wire should be connect to ground, and which is hot before closing it up?

Everything is done except that I have to wire grounds. It would be much easier to know which wire is which on the SC.

Also, if they are reversed, what will happen sonically?

Comment

Name:	IMG20231018133119.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	6253995 almost finished

Comment

I took my time and everything worked on the first try.

This is about as good a switching scheme as you can get with an ibby HSH and a superswitch. The push/pull didn't add too much complexity.

Name:	IMG20231020141320.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	6254319 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20231020140039.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	6254318

Comment

Make you life easy.

dump the vlx91 and get a std 5 way switch. Really.

You wire the humbuckers to the p/p for full/split, and then to the respective lugs.

This way you get hsh and sss across the 5 way.

Most guys will either be in one mode or the other, so the p/p becomes a set and forget kinda thing. At least that is how i use it.

You can split both pickups on one pot, or use a separate pot for each for more versatility.

Comment

The VLX91 is bulletproof.. this switch is 26 years old. And its the only one that will fit in a sabre.

Comment

My VLX91 gave up the ghost about 10 years ago. I've had a cheapy green import 5-way in there ever since, after swapping out the stock Quantum pup's for the A4 Sinbucker's I have in there now Switch fits, but the lever's a bit long and it sticks out a bit higher than usual topside...
                    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                    X