Blackouts vs Mustaine Livewires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackouts vs Mustaine Livewires?

My poor lil Schecter C-1 Platinum is sitting here with no motors. I didn't "click" with the EMG's. (81/85 If I recall.) I have a set of AHB-1 Blackouts and a set of Mustaine Livewire's on the shelf. I think the Blackouts might be too close too the EMG's. Also, I'm not really into "metal." The Mustaine's are described as an active JB/Jazz set. I like the JB/Jazz. Plus, the black-nickel covers would look great in this axe.

Has anyone compared these two sets? Are the Blackouts close to the EMG's? Thanks all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Schecter_C1_Platinum.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	6252283

I don't know. I like Blackouts, I don't like EMGs.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Yeah, I don't think the Blackouts are all that much like EMG's.

But if you're not into Metal, Blackouts are even more over-the-top than EMG's.

Comment

Ok. But how are Mustaines's?

Comment

Not sure if this helps, but Dave prefers his passive Thrash Factors live, IIR, to his active line. If that's the case, I'm not sure why the Livewire Mustaine active line still exists.

Don't like the JB, especially for a Megadeth type sound, even though that is what he used. Have to tweak the bottom end so much on that pickup in post to get it tight.

I think a Distortion is much closer to a Megadeth sound out of the box. I'd prefer Full Shreds or even Parallel Axis pickups for that tone also.

The Blackouts will sound much fuller and evenly balanced than the EMGs, which are rolled off on the highs and lows to emphasize upper mids.

People tend to like how the Blackouts sound when the guitar plays alone, but EMGs sit better in a mix.

I use Blackouts for lower tunings, especially anything below Db, when I want a thicker, fuller sound than EMGs will provide. Moving the EMGs to 18/24 volts helps them a lot.

I'd go with the Mustaine Livewires if they sound like Jazz/JBs and you like that look and sound. The JB is used for a lot of rock, whereas the EMG 81/85 are really more for metal, as are the Blackouts.

Out of what you have and what you like, I'd go with the Mustaine Livewires.

Comment

Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post
            Not sure if this helps, . . . Out of what you have and what you like, I'd go with the Mustaine Livewires.
            It does. Thanks. I have Parallel Axis in another guitar. Love them. This one will get the Mustaine's.

Comment

I have Parallel Axis Originals in a Jackson RR3 I built and they are like a higher output Full Shred, IMO. Very underrated pickup.

Comment

Parallel Axis are sweet. Super underated and under appreciated. But I have them in another guitar. She's a keeper.

Comment

Working...
                X