HSS with Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSS with Custom

Wiring up an HSS pickguard with the SD Custom bridge and ceramic single coils from Mexi strats, and a 5 way super switch.

Would you rather have:
    5 Neck
    4 Neck + Mid
    3 Neck + inner coil
    2 Mid + outer coil
    1 Bridge humbucking serial

Or

5 Neck +Mid
    4 Neck + inner coil
    3 Mid + outer coil
    2 Bridge humbucking parallel
    1 Bridge humbucking serial
    Last edited by strattyguy; 10-09-2023, 03:42 AM.

I would wire it like a normal Strat except the humbucker is split when combined with the middle. No point in making things complicated just because you can
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I'd pick A. I did something similar with an HSS Warmoth that I built. The neck was a rw/rp Classic Stack, the middle was a Five Two. All positions were hum-cancelling.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
        I would wire it like a normal Strat except the humbucker is split when combined with the middle. No point in making things complicated just because you can
        That's about as far as I would go. In my HSS setup, I don't even split the humbucker with the middle single. It's a Perpetual Burn / Classic Stack Plus / Classic Stack Plus setup. I like how the bridge/middle sound together this way. Some quack but with more punch.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post

That's about as far as I would go. In my HSS setup, I don't even split the humbucker with the middle single. It's a Perpetual Burn / Classic Stack Plus / Classic Stack Plus setup. I like how the bridge/middle sound together this way. Some quack but with more punch.
          You ever try neck and bridge together but no split?
          "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by TVFV View Post

You ever try neck and bridge together but no split?
            Yup, with a "neck-on" switch. It was ok. I tend to stick to simple schemes. I've done fancy wiring in the past and while it's all fun at home, once I got on stage with it, I was using one or two settings and it was always the two I used beforehand. My Les Paul Trad Pro has the most complex wiring with the stock push/pulls to split each humbucker.
            Last edited by ErikH; 10-10-2023, 10:09 AM.

Comment

I agree with you guys. I'm going to keep it simple. I've wired a previous pickguard (SSS) with series/parallel switching and a neck on switch, and I never really use those added tones.

Comment

It occurs to me that when wiring neck-on with a mini DPDT, you could use the other half to split the bridge hum.
                You'd get a clearer position 1, and it might even make position 2 usable - S+S+H is mighty muddy...
                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I don't like M+B position, my choice would be:

1: full HB
                  2: split HB+N
                  3: M
                  4: M+N
                  5: N

I tried once, the split HB + N sounds very jaguary in middle position

Comment

Keep in mind that a Custom will be likely much louder than the single coils. That might not be an issue for you (for many it isn't), but if you aren't use to a much hotter bridge pickup, the volume balance will be off.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                    X