Regular DiMarzio Norton in the neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regular DiMarzio Norton in the neck?

Anyone using the non-Air Norton in the neck? What is it like?

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
    Anyone using the non-Air Norton in the neck? What is it like?
    I have used it in the neck, it is great, very shreddy! Better than the bridge, but you need a hot bridge pickup.

Comment

No intention of hijacking a thread, but as a non-DiMarzio guy who is looking to dip his toe in the water sometime:

What's the difference between air and non-air pickups?

I know it's some patented technology DiMarzio has that lets them accomplish various things tonally, but I was never clear on it.

Also "Norton" does not really give an indication of what a pickup sounds like. It is, however, a well known antivirus and system optimization suite from the 1990s and 00s.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
        but you need a hot bridge pickup.
        Norton/Tone Zone is a classic combo
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

Norton/Tone Zone is a classic combo
          They have almost the same output. I was thinking more along the lines of a Super Distortion or an X2N. Norton in the neck is really loud.

Comment

They have almost the same output. I was thinking more along the lines of a Super Distortion or an X2N. Norton in the neck is really loud.
            Well, it would be a 500T which is like 95% as hot as an X2N.

Comment

Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post
              No intention of hijacking a thread, but as a non-DiMarzio guy who is looking to dip his toe in the water sometime:

What's the difference between air and non-air pickups?

I know it's some patented technology DiMarzio has that lets them accomplish various things tonally, but I was never clear on it.

Also "Norton" does not really give an indication of what a pickup sounds like. It is, however, a well known antivirus and system optimization suite from the 1990s and 00s.
              Rather than having the magnet make contact with the screws and the slugs inside the pickup, they leave little gaps. They weaken the magnetic field this way.

I think part of their "reasoning" is they want to have an A2 vibe, but using A5 (along with the Virtual Vintage thing). They have stated in the past that they find A2 "unstable", so they avoid it. But they they use it in some of their single coils, so I don't know.
              Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 10-12-2023, 05:40 PM.

Comment

I wonder if we could do the same thing putting a piece of paper between the magnet and the coils in a SD?

OTH, how is this any different that moving the pickup farther away from the strings..?

Last edited by Top-L; 10-12-2023, 06:05 PM.

Comment

I wonder if we could do the same thing putting a piece of paper between the magnet and the coils in a SD?

OTH, how is this any different that moving the pickup farther away from the strings..?

I don't think a piece of paper is thick enough. The Air gap is like 0.5-1.0 mm.

It's different because the magnetic field on top of the pickup becomes different overall, I would think.

Comment

Working...
                  X