Clear bobbins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear bobbins

So my chance encounter upon a Les Paul Menace showed me that clear pickup bobbins are a thing.

Thoughts?

Gibson started it in 1968 with the P90 bobbins.
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Is it just the angle, or is the insulation on one of the coils on the pickup to the left different than the other? One looks like enamel, the other looks like something else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
        Is it just the angle, or is the insulation on one of the coils on the pickup to the left different than the other? One looks like enamel, the other looks like something else.
        Dunno, but seeing the coil bugs me, just like direct mount pickups without rings bug me.

It's like seeing an unattractive person naked. Go home, 2020s guitar. You're drunk. Please, cover those coils and put on a pickup ring.

Comment

I actually kind of dig it. I wouldn't mind it on one of my more beat-up-looking guitars.
          Take it to the limit
          Everybody to the limit
          Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Sort of thing that would be ideal in a steampunk guitar

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
              Yep, different wire. AFAIK Gibson doesn't do that - I don't think those are the ones from the LP Menace.

First saw clear bobbins on one of the 60s P90s that hamerfan mentioned.
              IMO seeing the coils is cool. Just posted over on the LP Menace thread that to me it looks sort of steampunk.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

They do nothing for me.

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post

Yep, different wire. AFAIK Gibson doesn't do that - I don't think those are the ones from the LP Menace.

IMO seeing the coils is cool. Just posted over on the LP Menace thread that to me it looks sort of steampunk.
                  Would look cool with some kind of clockwork/gear overlay on the paint. Maybe etched.

Something like this late Roman/Byzantine type of niello artwork.

Comment

Not really a look I care for, but I could see them working in the right guitar. There should be more design elements on bobbins and covers, overall. Pickups can sometimes look so boring.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post

Dunno, but seeing the coil bugs me, just like direct mount pickups without rings bug me.

It's like seeing an unattractive person naked. Go home, 2020s guitar. You're drunk. Please, cover those coils and put on a pickup ring.
                      I'm with you on transparent coils looking bad, but a well done wood mounted pickup looks way better than a pickup ring. Rear mounted pickups look even better.

I don't particularly care for pickup covers either, at least not shiny metal ones.
                      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post

I'm with you on transparent coils looking bad, but a well done wood mounted pickup looks way better than a pickup ring. Rear mounted pickups look even better.

I don't particularly care for pickup covers either, at least not shiny metal ones.
                        I prefer to see the ring--even for it to be metal and chrome. It's like a picture with a frame.

I will occasionally cover a pickup if it is a PAF in an attractive (usually gloss black) guitar. However, there is a slight tone difference between covered and uncovered (covered sounds a little more nasally to me). Usually black bobbins with a logo are good enough for me (I don't like DiMarzios not having a logo).

Of course, if money were no object, there would always be options. I admire pickup covers that are incorporated seamlessly into the paint scheme. I am guessing this is challenging to do.

And, I pretty much require pickup rings now because I insist on Triple Shots on nearly everything.

Comment

I don't particularly like the ring. I am all for well-done wood mounts. It does look more elegant to me.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post

Those are Porter Pickups' "Blender Pickups". They say, they use 4 types of wire among the set of neck & bridge pickups or something. I found the clear bobbin pickup on their website, also.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20231015-211721_Chrome.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	6253717
                            JC
                            -2023 Indio 66SB DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ P90s
                            -2020 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ Seth Lover neck & '59 Model bridge w/ Faber hardware(#1 guitar)
                            -2021 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Iced Tea Burst
                            -2023 Indio Boardwalk (335-style)
                            -2022 Indio Retro DLX Plus(T-style) - w/ Fender AVRI 62 Custom neck & 52 bridge pickups.
                            -2020 Stage Right 1x12" 15w tube combo(Laney Cub 12R)

Comment

Here's the clear bobbin 'Blender Pickup' at their website

JC
                              -2023 Indio 66SB DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ P90s
                              -2020 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ Seth Lover neck & '59 Model bridge w/ Faber hardware(#1 guitar)
                              -2021 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Iced Tea Burst
                              -2023 Indio Boardwalk (335-style)
                              -2022 Indio Retro DLX Plus(T-style) - w/ Fender AVRI 62 Custom neck & 52 bridge pickups.
                              -2020 Stage Right 1x12" 15w tube combo(Laney Cub 12R)

Comment

Working...
                              X