Black Winter Pickups Low Resistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Winter Pickups Low Resistance

Help! My Black Winter pickups are making me nuts! I noticed that the middle pick up STS-S7 was way louder. Checked with a multimeter. Middle pick up resistance was 10.5. Both the Black Winter pickups were at .48! So, I pulled the guitar apart, and un-soldered the connections. When I test the resistance, the neck was near 13 and the bridge was near 16 - right where it is supposed to be! However, when I solder the connections to the 5 way switch and the earth/ground on the back of the volume pot, they drop to .48. WTH?! Anyone have any ideas? I'm fresh out.

OK, don't panic. Maybe take some clear pics of your wiring and we can sort it out. It doesn't seem like there is a problem with the pickups, but with how they are wired. We can usually sort this stuff out and get you back to rockin' in no time.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Sounds like something is jumpered wrong with the switch and you've got an open circuit somewhere.

Comment

UPDATE: I found my issue. I had taped off the red and white wires on the pickups but I did not solder them together. I soldered them and that fixed the issue. My new pickups now all sound AWESOME! Thanks to everyone for your feedback and suggestions!

Comment

Originally posted by Childeric View Post
          UPDATE: I found my issue. I had taped off the red and white wires on the pickups but I did not solder them together. I soldered them and that fixed the issue. My new pickups now all sound AWESOME! Thanks to everyone for your feedback and suggestions!
          Awesome! It is always a great feeling to diagnose and fix a problem on your own, and get a very cool set of pickups at the same time!
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
          X