No announcement yet.

epiphone probuckers...need some A5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe i figured it out. The way epiphone wires them using multiple wires in one jacket where both pickup conductors reside together was apparently causing crosstalk and probably capacitance issues. I rewired it so each pickups conductors are shielded in their own jacket. Issue is gone ! I still however feel these pickups aren't exactly what i want but that may change as i get used to this now brighter tone. tweak the amp, etc. Gotta wonder how many epiphone reviews that find the tone lesser then a gibson is due to this !

Comment

HAAA! U posted right when i did and you indeed nailed it. Thats exactly what i found. I wish u had posted it before i went to all the trouble of pulling the covers and also trying A5 !

Comment

Originally posted by gimmieinfo View Post
        I wish u had posted it before i went to all the trouble of pulling the covers and also trying A5 !
        Well, I always do my best to post helpful info but I've still not divine omniscience at disposal... :-)

And the idea to try other covers was precisely meant to avoid a change of magnets at first. ;-)

Also, if you've changed a bad cover for another bad one, it doesn't make any difference without proving that Epi covers are not a problem. Only a lab test would tell the truth, here.

Hope you'll enjoy with your guitar as it is now, anyway.
        Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Originally posted by freefrog View Post

Well, I always do my best to post helpful info but I've still not divine omniscience at disposal... :-)

And the idea to try other covers was precisely meant to avoid a change of magnets at first. ;-)

Also, if you've changed a bad cover for another bad one, it doesn't make any difference without proving that Epi covers are not a problem. Only a lab test would tell the truth, here.

Hope you'll enjoy with your guitar as it is now, anyway.
          No, i meant i wish u had posted the thought about capacitance. I only figured it out because it was the only possiblity left that could cause the neck pickup to be making sound when it was not even selected. The cover and magnets were already possibilities in my mind from the beginning, but the magnet is what i focused on because i've always felt A2 on fender style pickups muddy the lows, and i assumed the same would be true of a gibson design. And trying a A5 i had to remove the cover anyways so i figured i'd do that and if no joy, then look a covers. I also just added spin-a-split to both and wired the guitar like fender, IE: one volume.The pus now go straight to the switch the the common to one pot. I have one pot left over fr tone bet i never se tones so i left that unhooked. Then i raised the tail up to lessen the break angle and that alone was a huge improvement. Seemed to balance the tone better but whatever it did its hard to put a finger on. Plus it plays easier now and the way the pick bounces off the string is much better. l in all it's gone form a guitar i could take or leave it, and in fact at one point had a return authorization. to what i would call close to perfection. And the splits make it a lot more versitile. It may be able to compete with my P90 special which to date has been my favorite guitar ever. Took a few days and a lot of work to figure out how to get it to play and sound like i wished but man did it ever turn out great. Hard to put down now.

Comment

A2 is the magnet I prefer for neck, it cuts off the right amount of bass still being warm

Comment

Working...
            X